Honored Contributor

We have a welcome plaque in front of our house right under the light. A family of 3 toads moved in there on the back of the plaque. 2 large ones and a baby one. So DH wanted to take them over to the woods and get them off the plaque but felt bad because of the baby so he decided to wait til the baby grew a little. However , every time he looks there are more babies.There are about 6 now. How often do they have babies? I'd say, with my soft hearted DH they have found a safe home for a while as long as they keep having babies he doesn't have the heart to evict them. 

Honored Contributor

Kudo's for your kind hubby.  Im not a toadologist so I dont have a clue, but I think they will disappear when cold weather hits and I dont think they will cause any harm.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

We live in Florida so cold weather won't happen. One day he'll finally tire of cleaning up their poop and take them to the woods to rehome them.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We have a welcome plaque in front of our house right under the light. A family of 3 toads moved in there on the back of the plaque. 2 large ones and a baby one. So DH wanted to take them over to the woods and get them off the plaque but felt bad because of the baby so he decided to wait til the baby grew a little. However , every time he looks there are more babies.There are about 6 now. How often do they have babies? I'd say, with my soft hearted DH they have found a safe home for a while as long as they keep having babies he doesn't have the heart to evict them. 

Having babies?????

After mating takes place, the females lay their eggs in the water, in long spiral tubes of jelly.

Hatching occurs 3 to 12 days after laying, depending on the temperature of the water. The tadpoles group together and feed and grow for 40 to 70 days before becoming toads!

Esteemed Contributor

We have toads all around here in SC. And, they are just so tiny - cutest things ever. I also have the green tree frogs - one perches everyday on the column outside my front door.

Last year when we were taking down our hurricane shutters, there was one behind the shutter on my large glass window - I love frogs.

Honored Contributor

Re: Growing family of toads

[ Edited ]

@Zhills  I just googled it and some breeds of toads give birth directly. Look past Wikipedia - they aren't always accurate. I'm no toadologist either but those baby toads are coming from somewhere.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Growing family of toads

[ Edited ]

You are correct!

two mountain lineages of toads Nimbaphrynoides and Nectophrynoides - give birth to live young. 

Breeding on land. Like frogs, most toads lay their fertilized eggs in water, where they hatch into tadpoles before developing into adult toads. ... DUH!

Valued Contributor

Since moving to northern Florida, I have been plagued with these little green frogs. They are messy and one even made a mud nest above my front door. From what I understand I just have to live with the nuisance. In TN it was the beetles ( ladybug wannabes 😀)

at least I can keep the frogs out of the house.

Esteemed Contributor

I've never seen frogs make mud nests on walls, etc. However, I've had mud nests on my house from wasps.

Honored Contributor

The light probably attracts bugs and your toads like the readily available supply of freah meat.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment