Honored Contributor

Great website for New Year organization and decluttering

I was on another website and someone mentioned a site that I quickly visited and thought others here might find valuable.

http://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com/

They have a 52 week organized house challenge.

I'm just beginning the reading, but seems to have some great stuff.

Happy New Year decluttering!

Honored Contributor

Re: Great website for New Year organization and decluttering

Can you explain to me how a website can help you to declutter your home ? I just don't understand how that works. decluttering is simply a matter of getting in there and doing it. How can a website tell you that something is useful so you keep it or is no longer useful so you discard it. It is all as simple as that. Not rocket science.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, mominohio, for taking the time to post something POSITIVE and HELPFUL ~ appreciate your efforts!

Valued Contributor

Thanks, OP for sharing this site; I just visited it and there are plenty of good organizing ideas.

We moved twice in one year, so we really decluttered when we moved. I like having the organizing bins, particularly in the bathroom closet for meds, etc.

Hope you have a good New Year!

Edit: You know what to do with the "dark cloud" poster below yours LOL

Trusted Contributor

I just printed the yearly calendar about three days ago. I'm going to try it. It gives you a weekly goal to declutter and then breaks it down into sections to do in 15 minutes each day. I think some of the planning time allotted is not long enough, but I would imagine it depends upon how much decluttering needs to be done.

Some people may just be overwhelmed with how much to do and have a hard time to get started and this format may be beneficial for people who are experiencing this. And, I am one of those.

We're all different and need to be more accepting of our diversity. Perhaps 2015 needs to be the year of positive posts.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

I had the last two weeks off from work and decluttered/cleaned just about every inch of this house. I emptied closets and only put back what would be used. I put a storage system in the closet in the spare bedroom for the home decor items. That's been on my to do list forever. Now I can see everything at a glance. I have the master closet left, but will hold that for another time. One trip to goodwill and several garbage bags. It's very liberating.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting this, MIO. It looks really interesting. Sometimes the best of intentions go astray, or we get totally overwhelmed with the job, especially if some things in our lives have been turned upside down by circumstances beyond our control. I know that happens to a lot of us, and it's happened to me in the last few years. So the clutter has gotten out of hand. (Besides, I'm a collector of antique things, from lamps to tole trays, etc. and need to reorganize places to put things!) Smile

Every idea or tip, even if it's something I already know, can be helpful if only as a reminder of ideas we've long since forgotten about. And I'll take any new storage or organization tips I can get! Thanks again! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

On 1/3/2015 wismiss said:

I just printed the yearly calendar about three days ago. I'm going to try it. It gives you a weekly goal to declutter and then breaks it down into sections to do in 15 minutes each day. I think some of the planning time allotted is not long enough, but I would imagine it depends upon how much decluttering needs to be done.

Some people may just be overwhelmed with how much to do and have a hard time to get started and this format may be beneficial for people who are experiencing this. And, I am one of those.

We're all different and need to be more accepting of our diversity. Perhaps 2015 needs to be the year of positive posts.

Well said. I found this to be encouraging and motivating. I have this one very long but narrow closet and, for the life of me, I clean it out and 2 months later its a mess. This gives me some ideas I hadn't thought about. Thanks for the post!

Trusted Contributor

On 1/3/2015 happy housewife said:

Can you explain to me how a website can help you to declutter your home ? I just don't understand how that works. decluttering is simply a matter of getting in there and doing it. How can a website tell you that something is useful so you keep it or is no longer useful so you discard it. It is all as simple as that. Not rocket science.

It provides a road map. It is easy to say just get in there and do it but, for some, it may seem like an insurmountable task without some underlying organizational tips. Also this is the kind of task that ends up in procrastination. Having a road map with checklists lets people, who many be more prone to procrastinate, to keep to plan since they can see more easily that they are getting behind.

Trusted Contributor

I checked out the website and was very interested in the 52 week challenge! There were many weekly suggestions that I had never thought of ~ in particular, manuals and warranties. Those things just seem to multiply and never are thrown out ~ great ideas!