Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Great website for New Year organization and decluttering

Thanks so much, mominohio, for thinking of us on the forum. This information provides good motivation. Happy de-cluttering!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

Mominohio, I appreciate your sharing this with us. Due to a lot of health issues this year, I really got behind with things. I was feeling very overwhelmed, and this site breaks it down into small parts, so I don't get so upset about being behind. I used to have such efficient routines, but now I can't even think of what they were!

Honored Contributor

On 1/3/2015 graycatsrule said: I had the last two weeks off from work and decluttered/cleaned just about every inch of this house. I emptied closets and only put back what would be used. I put a storage system in the closet in the spare bedroom for the home decor items. That's been on my to do list forever. Now I can see everything at a glance. I have the master closet left, but will hold that for another time. One trip to goodwill and several garbage bags. It's very liberating.

You have to feel soooo good! That is a great deal of work in that time frame. Congrats on getting it done!

Honored Contributor

Thanks to everyone of the positive posts. I consider myself very organized and methodical with the way I keep house, but as the years progress, we tend to acquire more and more things, especially in our child rearing years with all the things that go with having kids. Sometimes it is a good cleaning out that is needed, and sometimes it is just some ideas on organizing, storing, and making accessible the things we choose not to part with.

This site seemed to have some really common sense type things and some ways of organizing I hadn't thought of.

So many things get in the way of keeping the 'perfect' house. Jobs, kids, physical limitations, health issues, family circumstances that take our time and attention out of the house, and number of things. At some point, we have to come back around and make it happen, and little tips and suggestions are always helpful.

Honored Contributor

On 1/3/2015 happy housewife said:

Can you explain to me how a website can help you to declutter your home ? I just don't understand how that works. decluttering is simply a matter of getting in there and doing it. How can a website tell you that something is useful so you keep it or is no longer useful so you discard it. It is all as simple as that. Not rocket science.

HH, no one can explain anything to you. You think you know everything, and you find yourself superior to most people who post here. Get a life, and perhaps a New Year's resolution to get a better attitude. Not rocket science. It is all as simple as that.

Honored Contributor

Maybe , instead of sitting at a computer reading about decluttering you all should consider getting in there and working up a sweat. That is what gets the job done - not 15 min. That is just a waste of 15 min. Sorry you don't like to hear that - but the FACT is - the only way to get a house clean is to get physically in there and DO THE WORK. Whether you like to hear it or not - that is the fact of it. If some internet site isn't telling you that - they are lying to you. I hope you guys aren't paying money for this site.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the link, mominohio! I am one of those people who like a road map. Not everyone has the gift of being organized.

Honored Contributor

Doesn't something like this fit into sort of the same category as the suggestion from myriad weight-loss experts that tell us to keep a written diary, paper or digital, because it's a kind of personal accountability.

I see no reason the calendar isn't a great idea - and like eating plans, if you fall off one day, you can start again in 24 hours - all is not totally lost.

Honored Contributor

mominohio I remember going to this site before with the thought of returning and never did. Thank you for posting the link. This time I bookmarked it.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Respected Contributor

As an attempt to contribute something positive to this thread, I am offering a link to another great decluttering website.

http://www.flylady.net/

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.