Frequent Contributor

Grateful for Harry Slatkin's Return to QVC

Harry Slatkin has the Farmstand Baskets today as the QVC TSV.  I have found his items to be beautifully designed.  Although trends in home decor seem to be trending toward a minimalist atmosphere, I find his items enchanting and adaptable to any type of decor.  The new scents are more powerful than the ones he originally aired when he returned to QVC.  The candles burn clean, are ozone friendly and smell positively scrumptious.  He and his wife (who I believe established the high-end Nest brand featured by top retailers worldwide) have been featured in many magazines and articles.  Their work to further autism research and charitable contributions to make the world a better place speaks so very highly of them.  QVC has thrown in free shipping on today's special value making it an even sweeter value.  

I am not associated with Harry Slatkin or QVC in any way.  I'm just encouraging any of you who love candles and fine scents to try his products.  If you are a Harry Slatkin fan, I'd love to see your photos. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Grateful for Harry Slatkin's Return to QVC

I do like the Slatkin supporting autism research but not sold on today’s tsv. I don’t need something else on my kitchen counters. Ceramics remind me of Valerie Parr Hill items 20 years ago. Must admit I have fallen for BBW wallflowers in fruit fragrances.

Frequent Contributor

Hi Traveler,

Thanks for your comments.  I do love Bath and Body Works fragrances.  I think Harry Slatkin developed them and then sold his interest in the company to The Limited Brands (who own Bath and Body works).  The layering of his fragrances is so beautiful, and he has worked so diligently to further the perfection of the scents.  I have found that he listens to customers comments and has access to the finest perfumers in the world.

I have a very eclectic style, and love mixing the new with the old.  Perhaps it comes from incorporating just a few of my mother's favorite things into a more modern but rustic home on the lake.  While Harry and Valerie both utilize ceramics which are not as prevalent in today's decor, they look very fresh and updated in many settings.  I think the key is in how people chose to use them.  

I really appreciate your comments!  Hugs to you!

Honored Contributor

I too love Harry Slatikin's candles!!!!!!However, I am not sold on the TSV as I don't need another item on my counters either...It might be cute on my kitchen table though, so I am still considering it.....

I wish all of his items had free shipping today...

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Candle Queen, 

Thanks for your comments!  I also wish all of Harry's items had free shipping today!

When I bring something new in, something old has to go (either to a storage area because it is a seasonal or is going to be rotated) or it is donated.  I have an antique curved glass corner curio which belonged to my mother which I rotate items into and also a small antique table that I rotate things on. I have room above the cupboards, too, for a tasteful display.  The house is quite modern, but I had to mix a few of my beloved mother's things for the beautiful memories.  In the end, I simply love the look.  I buy what speaks to my heart and my passions.  After all, I feel our homes should reflect who we are.   I can see from your i.d. that you are passionate about candles!  They have found so many benefits to aromatherapy!  

Hugs to you my dear!

Honored Contributor

My mom bought a lot of Harry's things when he first returned to QVC, and I have to say, we were both not impressed with much. 

The heavy glass triple wicks she purchased, a couple of those are nice enough in style and fragrance, but over all, I think most of what she got was Walmart quality, especially in scent and throw. 

I know the buzz now is how he has gone back and made things stronger. I have to wonder just how genuine this can be because I thought it took a long time to create things, have them manufactured and shipped all the way from China. Not something I would expect to just be able to be done in a window of a few months. 

That being said, I'm leaning on getting the blueberry version of the TSV and giving it a try. With the free shipping, I'm not going to be out much if I decide it isn't any better than the other things I've seen/smelled from his line. 

This will be the last time I give his line a try though. If this doesn't get it, I'm done.

Are his candles poured here, or are the acutal waxes for all these inserts coming from overseas? Anyone know for sure?

Honored Contributor

Very, very tempted to order. I'll decide by this afternoon.

Honored Contributor

His holiday   items, the pumpkins ,and christmas candles i had to send back ,no smell ,but took a chance on two candles a few weeks ago ,they are lovely smell so good ,i love the two cute blueberry ones.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

His holiday   items, the pumpkins ,and christmas candles i had to send back ,no smell ,but took a chance on two candles a few weeks ago ,they are lovely smell so good ,i love the two cute blueberry ones.

@goldensrbest

Good to know that you notice a change over that time. 

Maybe they have beefed up the fragrance. 

Here is what I have to wonder. 

Did they just get it wrong in the initial launch of his return, try to keep it cheap, so kept the fragrances down, did they rush his return and hurry the development and manufacturing process or what? Did they go the cheap route hoping no one would notice and they could get away with it? 

For someone with such extensive skill and experience, I don't get why the initial roll out of his return was with such unsatisfactory/substandard product. It really could have ruined the brand. 

Frequent Contributor

Hi Auntg,

I just watched another presentation of TSV a bit ago, and Harry introduced the great idea of freezing the container (insert) after the candle is burned (so you can scrape out leftover wax) and using the basket with the insert to place on your table with condiments such as pickles, etc.  I think there is no end to the fun we can have with these.  I love to eat fruit, and feel that both candles and fruit help create at atmosphere of relaxation and memories.  Best wishes with your decision and big hugs to you! I'm so glad you posted.