Honored Contributor

Re: Granite vs Quartz

[ Edited ]

I have quartz in 2 bathrooms, and thought I was taking a step down from granite.  Had no idea it's more expensive!

I'm planning on granite for our kitchen we're re-doing.  The surfaces are small-ish so it's not the price I'm concerned about.

I just happened to fall in love with a light dreamy, creamy granite that also has a speck of silver in it to match SS appliances.  And it will look so nice with the cream colored cabinets.

I want a light and bright kitchen (but no white) and was concerned how to bring the two tones together and this granite does it for me.

Leave it to Mother Nature!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone. We will probably hear back from the decorator on Monday. She really wants the Quartz. She will be happy with with the granite but the Quartz is what she has had pinned on Pinterest for six months as far as the look. So hopping it comes back at a good price.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Granite vs Quartz

[ Edited ]

My mom found out today that the Quartz is $1000 more then my sister had in the bid. Once we get back from my surgery they will see all the changes they made and where they are at. Most likely she will go with the thunder white granite because that is a pretty big cost over what was allocated. My dad knows she really wants the Quartz but I don't think they will be willing to go over that much. She really likes the thunder white granite also it's just the Quartz is what she had been liking.

Respected Contributor
I think your mother really want marble but the expense and porous nature make it out of reach. If there is another place she can save the $1000, why not get the quartz and save the money elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
I think your mother really want marble but the expense and porous nature make it out of reach. If there is another place she can save the $1000, why not get the quartz and save the money elsewhere.

She doesn't want marble for the exact reason you stated. Although the master bath countertops are marble but no good for a kitchen. We will see when they get the total this week how much they are over with decor. I am not sure where they would make changes. They are actually right on budget because the construction of the house is a couple grand under and decor is over.  They still will have lighting and cabinets to do after the house is started. 

Respected Contributor
You will be surprised in how much money they can save in the light fixtures. SHop around with those. You can get the design you want but a price you can live with. The counters will get much more use and visual effect than dramatic lighting in every room. That is probably where they can save. Not that I see your folks as ones to have dramatic chandeliers in every room or anything like that, but light fixtures can get very expensive and quickly.
Esteemed Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
You will be surprised in how much money they can save in the light fixtures. SHop around with those. You can get the design you want but a price you can live with. The counters will get much more use and visual effect than dramatic lighting in every room. That is probably where they can save. Not that I see your folks as ones to have dramatic chandeliers in every room or anything like that, but light fixtures can get very expensive and quickly.

Ha ha. You don't know my dad. He wants all these extra cam lights. But you are right that they might end up going and buying their own lighting and paying cash which they have already talked about.

Esteemed Contributor

Here is a picture of the thunder white granite. I think she will be pretty happy with it. And the island will be dark like that.

image.jpeg

Respected Contributor

When we remodeled our kitchen years ago, we could get any countertop we wanted. We did much research and choose granite. Not only for its' beauty but for its' durability and ease of care.  The radon thing is more newspaper hype then anything else. Not a worry, You get more radon from your basement then your counters. Sealing the counters, choose a granite that does not need sealing. There are many that are so solid and non-porous they don't need sealing...ever.  We picked Uba Tuba.  Beutiful and the work horse of granites. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking and looking beautiful. I don't need to use special cleaners. I use a small amount of dish soap on a damp dish cloth and run it over the counters. Dry it with a cloth and done. I have had formica, quartz and granite counters in the apartments and houses we have lived in over the years. Granite wins hands down.

Esteemed Contributor

1. @Rockycoast wrote:

When we remodeled our kitchen years ago, we could get any countertop we wanted. We did much research and choose granite. Not only for its' beauty but for its' durability and ease of care.  The radon thing is more newspaper hype then anything else. Not a worry, You get more radon from your basement then your counters. Sealing the counters, choose a granite that does not need sealing. There are many that are so solid and non-porous they don't need sealing...ever.  We picked Uba Tuba.  Beutiful and the work horse of granites. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking and looking beautiful. I don't need to use special cleaners. I use a small amount of dish soap on a damp dish cloth and run it over the counters. Dry it with a cloth and done. I have had formica, quartz and granite counters in the apartments and houses we have lived in over the years. Granite wins hands down.

They were told it will be sealed before installation and probably won't need it again for ten years.