Respected Contributor

Oh I am no help here. Went from choosing quartz then granite then quartz and I finally chose granite. Why? I like the touch of the stone - the coolness and smoothness. Also, there is no repeating in the pattern - no matter how small or large the pattern is. Totally natural.

Now a friends parents had  Silestone in their house - looked good, that is where I started thinking about quartz for the first time.

I think there are are pros and cons for each material. It all comes down to the look you really prefer. I do not think you can go wrong either way. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@ThinkOutsideTheBox wrote:
Don't know if it will help her decide, but tell her to Google "cracked granite countertop" and "seal granite countertop". Research on those two topics may be important to ssome before buying granite. Granite also gives off low levels of radon, but that idea never really bothered me.

She has made up her mind on the Quartz as long as it doesn't cost a ton more. My dad says he thinks it will be a couple grand more then the Granite. But what I am reading they are close on price. The Quartz is Torquay by Cambria. The other granite she has picked out is thunder white.

@ccassaday

Your mom made a beautiful selection.  Before we decided it would be easier to move than remodel our former home, we went to the Cambria showroom. I fell in love with Torquay.  All pieces were the same price -- $90  sq ft.  

Honored Contributor

I went through the building process 3 years ago. I had the choice of anything. I am a firm believer in granite. I thought I'd give quartz a try and got a price on it for my laundry room counter. My counter in there is small and the quote was outrageous! I quickly picked granite and saved a bundle! I prefer a natural product in my home. That's why I love my granite. Quartz is a manufactured product and definitely not in my price range. And ladies....come on already about complaining about sealing granite! You wipe your counters, right? I certainly hope so. All granite needs is for you to spray on something once a year and give it a good wipe down. That's it! I just shake my head when "sealing" is the main deterrent when choosing granite. 

"Pure Michigan"
Contributor

We remodeled our kitchen 5 years ago and installed Cambria Quartz countertops ..  Love my countertops and highly recommend Cambria !   At the time, there really wasn't much difference in price between the quartz and granite..  I honestly didn't even get a quote on the granite after seeing the Cambria, I knew that was what I wanted Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

We went with quartz and we love it. Very pretty and no maintenance.

Honored Contributor

We recently did granite because we liked the selection better.  Quartz didn't have enough "design" in it for us and was too plain for our taste.  Quartz has the exact same pattern throughout the entire piece where granite has movement, slabs are different from one to another and there isn't a definitive pattern which we liked.    

Do not let the fact that it has to be sealed deter you. There is nothing to the sealing at all.  I also don't personally know 1 person who has cracked their granite counters.  

Esteemed Contributor

The only way she won't go with the Quartz is if comes in significantly higher then the granite. It's all about the cost now. She should know by tomorrow or Monday.

Respected Contributor

I said this before in another discussion.

When selecting granite always ask to look at your slab and not a sample. We got a basic granite (builders grade?) and am happy with the decison. We signed a lot of papers about the installation such as warranty, care of, etc. One item says that you understand that as a natural stone that granite has veins that can show.

The sales person showed us a "vein" in the showroom kitchen that was about 2" in length. When ours was installed the vein is about 14" long and is in a very obvious place. The vein could have been place in a corner under a cabinet out of the way if they had put a little more effort into the cutting. 

Esteemed Contributor

@granddi wrote:

I said this before in another discussion.

When selecting granite always ask to look at your slab and not a sample. We got a basic granite (builders grade?) and am happy with the decison. We signed a lot of papers about the installation such as warranty, care of, etc. One item says that you understand that as a natural stone that granite has veins that can show.

The sales person showed us a "vein" in the showroom kitchen that was about 2" in length. When ours was installed the vein is about 14" long and is in a very obvious place. The vein could have been place in a corner under a cabinet out of the way if they had put a little more effort into the cutting. 

The decorator at the builder told them to go look at the slabs at the warehouse. That's how she realized she didn't like the original granite. If they go with granite they will go in and pick out their slab and be there when they template it. I hope the Quartz comes in at a good price. That's what she really wants.

Honored Contributor

Picked Quartz over Granite almost three years ago.  Where I live EVERYONE has granite and I wanted something I wouldn't see so often.  

At that time Quartz was significantly more costly then the highest grade of granite.  But, hey, I'd waited a good while to re- do kitchen and bath counters and floors.  Chose 6" x 24" porcelain tiles for floors in Dry Creek Bed pattern.  The Quartz just looked better with it, and I liked the bit of translucency in the Quartz.

Still very happy with my choice, and would do the same again.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras