Honored Contributor

Re: Granite counter tops. what to clean with

OP, Eee gad didn't your granite installers leave you supplies??? I've had several slabs of granite installed and every time my guys leave me an entire kit for me to take care of it with! I scratch my head when others complain about "how much work granite is!" My granite is a breeze to keep clean! It always looks showroom beautiful! Love my granite!

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

IMO some of those weekly polishing cleaners leave a greasy film; although they do perk up the stainless. I just use the soapy water on a cloth if I am washing something by hand or a spray cleaner like Mrs. Meyers Daily. They seem fine to me.

Respected Contributor

I love love Formula 409 for Granite. It really shines it up. You can find it everywhere, too.

Respected Contributor

Another vote for Method granite cleaner for daily cleaning.

Once per week I use a combo granite cleaner/polish to really amp up the shine. I got it from Home Depot.

~Enough is enough~
Regular Contributor

After I clean with soap and water I use a clean microfiber cloth and go over the counter with just plain water. If there is any soap residue on the cloth, it will leave a haze. The key is a clean microfiber cloth.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/27/2014 gillsburg said: I know it is the grease splatters at s causing thr problems And the cleansers don't seem to take this away. Had thought about windex but were told not to use it or anything with alcohol or ammonia in it. I think it would work the best.

I just had my countertop resealed after 10 years and the guy said it is in great shape. Up until recently, I only used Windex.

Frequent Contributor

I found this recipe online for an easy, homemade granite cleaner and it works great. A few drops of dishwashing liquid, 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol, and water in a spray bottle...that's it! I have black granite and I spray this on and wipe it off with either paper towel or a microfiber cloth...no streaks. I also use it on my stainless steel appliances. Quick and easy.

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/06/diy-homemade-granite-cleaner.html

Super Contributor

Of course it has to be sealed. I personally use soap and water, but love a granite cleaner in a spray can bought at any super market or Lowes or Home Depot etc. I spray twice a month because I love the sheen.

Super Contributor

On 12/28/2014 mstyrion 1 said:

Another vote for Method granite cleaner for daily cleaning.

Once per week I use a combo granite cleaner/polish to really amp up the shine. I got it from Home Depot.

Yes I like Method and Perfect granite
Super Contributor

On 12/27/2014 gillsburg said: Why oh why can't I stay logged in long enough to reply. Is method sold at Walmart. Gonna try the 409 and windex when the little old woman I am married to leaves the kitchen for a minute. He's really my DH but he's a retired cop and a rule man
Target or home depot for Method