Valued Contributor

Re: Granite Countertops - Yea or Nay or something else?

My sister got a granite countertop from Lowe's and she is very displeased with it. In some places it looks wet all the time. But that's what happens when you get granite, it is a natural product so you don't know what you're getting.

Honored Contributor

I got granite counters a couple of years ago and I LOVE it! It's a look that I like. I like the pattern that's on my granite slab and how it always has a nice shine to it. Some people see it as cold but to me it has beautiful jewel like glow. I also chose to have an Ogee custom edge which works perfectly for the look in my kitchen. There is little to no maintenance...just wipe with a damp cloth and periodically I'll use a granite cleaner & polish.

Honored Contributor

On 6/3/2014 BLH said:

My sister got a granite countertop from Lowe's and she is very displeased with it. In some places it looks wet all the time. But that's what happens when you get granite, it is a natural product so you don't know what you're getting.

That sounds more like a problem with the finish, not the actual stone.{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Valued Contributor

On 6/3/2014 faeriemoon said:
On 6/3/2014 BLH said:

That sounds more like a problem with the finish, not the actual stone.{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Lowe's wouldn't take it back or re-do it. They came and looked at it. They said that's what happens with granite, since it is a natural product you don't know what you're getting. She hates it.

Esteemed Contributor

I have Corian, it has been great, absolutely no complaints,(it does not stain) but have looked into changing it for resale value. The remodeler said that granite is still No 1 but quartz is quickly catching up for people who do not like the inconsistencies in the granite color and patterns. My neighbor just got granite and there are huge areas that look totally different in pattern. I would not be happy with that. Some granites are permanently sealed now, so that is a plus for granite lovers. As usual it is a personal choice

Respected Contributor

Just an FYI. The last Consumer Report magazine I received rated quartz better than granite in all categories including price.

Honored Contributor

On 6/3/2014 BLH said:

You do if you go out to see the slabs and select the one that will be installed in your home. That's what we did and very common to do when buying directly from a granite supplier.

Super Contributor

I had granite in my last two kitchens. Had a leaking pipe in my kitchen in the wall and had to redo my cabinets........I decided to look around to see what was available other than granite. I found granite to be cold and hard and if you dropped something on it, it would shatter. I was at Lowe's and saw a countertop that was beautiful. Talked to a rep and found out it was a new Formica product called 180fx. I chose this to put in my kitchen and couldn't be happier. Saved a ton of $$, too.

Honored Contributor

On 6/3/2014 BLH said:

I wanted the look of marble, but marble is very porous and stains easily...so I got quartz.

Quartz is manufactured, so the veining looks natural, but you don't have to go and pick out the slab.

Super Contributor

I've had granite countertops for several years now. I am thrilled with the look and the performance.

I like the fact it is a natural material with all the color changes and texture that would imply. It's not cold looking. In fact, quite the opposite. It's very organic which gives it a warm look. Quartz is nice, but a bit too "manufactured" looking for my taste.

Maintenance is a breeze. I use Method granite cleaner and it looks perfect. Sealing is also no problem. You can buy a spray almost anywhere and you spray it on and wipe it off.

What you choose has a lot to do with personal taste and decorating style. All materials have their pros and cons, but for me, granite will always be first choice.