Honored Contributor

Re: Granite Countertops - Yea or Nay or something else?

I replaced all of my Formica countertops with granite a few years ago. I looked into quartz and its far more expensive for it and its a manmade material. I love the look of my natural stone granite. I loved it so much I picked it for my newly remodeled cottage. So easy to take care of and always looks like a million bucks! Granite hands down!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I was seeing on t.v. that quartz is being used a lot. It looks really nice.

With granite, etc., don't you have to treat this surface with special products and be very careful with them?

I would rather have something more durable then if that is the case. Even though it is very beautiful.

I would go for a look alike, something easy care, durable and a little more economical.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

They say granite needs to be sealed once a yr. I have Corian and love it. Needs nothing but cleaned. Was in the house when we bought it.

Valued Contributor

double post

Honored Contributor

They're not my choice. I know they've been the trend now for a number of years, but if and when I redo mine, I'll explore other options, NOT to include the also trending concrete, cement... whatever... counter tops. Concrete, really...? Nor do I want metal counters. I'd like a section of traditional white marble, and as far as I'm concerned, the rest can be a good quality custom laminate. I'm not fond of all that stone in a kitchen, but I will look into all the choices.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

We had someone come out and give us an estimate and I nearly fell over. Then I heard it was something that needs maintenance and can chip etc. We went to Lowes and got a one piece acrylic that looks like granite and is sleek and smooth and it was about 1700.00 cheaper. I cannot attest to how it will hold up because it is not installed yet. My old countertop is formica and has to be caulked at seams and is worn out. I am excited as this will not have seams or caulking that molds.

Honored Contributor

On 6/3/2014 ennui1 said:

Ceramic tile is making a comeback.

With grout? Really?

I'd rather have laminate...

Esteemed Contributor

I have granite in kitchen, and bathroom countertops. I love it. If you want a farm sink look around the web for a solution that meets your budget. This is the reason I like the web. I can find most anything.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Kitchen-Kitchen-Sinks/Apron-Front/N-5yc1vZarsaZ1z10i24

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/3/2014 luvpoos said:

When we remodeled our kitchen we went with quartz counter. Absolutely love them and they are less expensive.

Same here, I bought Lowe's brand of quartz (Allen & Roth), it was even more affordable than the 'name' brands! You don't have to be concerned about it being sealed like with granite -- and major plus !

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/3/2014 brii said:
On 6/3/2014 ennui1 said:

Ceramic tile is making a comeback.

With grout? Really?

I'd rather have laminate...

I also hate grout!!!

A cousin bought granite tiles and had her countertop done on top of the laminate. All the installation costs she saved ended up going to the tiler! It looks like a pain to keep clean, too.