Super Contributor

Re: Granite Countertops - Yea or Nay or something else?

KJPA :: Thats what I was referring to .....having to wipe it constantly because it showed everything, especially if you have a darker color like we do.......Im obsessive about fingerprints, spills, water splashes, etc....

Super Contributor

THAT GRANITE IN THE PICTURE IS AWESOME ! GO FOR IT !

Respected Contributor

I have mentioned this before. We purchased a spec home in 2009. It came with black speckled granite. I hate it. I am not sure if it is the quality or lack thereof but it never looks shiny. I have tried every cleaner, polisher and sealer on it and it looks dull to me.

My SIL on the other hand has Style stone quarts in a very light beige and it's gorgeous. If it were not the fact the home is only 5 years old and my kitchen is large, I would replace it but, that is just too-too frivolous. As it is, we had a krappy side-by-side fridge with an icemaker that kept clogging up, so we replaced that.

For now, I'll live with the countertops. Also, while I'm griping, I hate my SS sink. I would rather a cast iron neutral color that I can keep spit shining clean with Barkeepers Friend.

Honored Contributor

My quartz looks just like marble...but since it is a manufactured material, it isn't porous and is even more durable than granite. Many pros (like Candace on HGTV) prefer quartz over granite...

Here is an example - I tried to take my own picture in my kitchen, but the lighting wasn't up to pro standards and the veining didn't show up as well as in person. I have smooth edges too...this style looks more "natural."

Honored Contributor

On 6/4/2014 KJPA said:

My granite kitchen has a Travertine back-splash too and we LOVE it!

Not all marble has to be cold btw. Here is pic of Rainforest Brown marble like I have in my powder room. My piece is much smaller but you get the idea. I think it is really inviting Smiley Wink

I have Rainforest Green on my front deck, looks just like trees and branches with the brown veining on the green background.

Trusted Contributor

On 6/3/2014 KJPA said:

I absolutely love my granite. I chose one with a lot of veining because I like that look. But it also hides all kinds of things such as crumbs and any future stains if they were to happen. I haven't had anything stain mine and we've had them about four years.

Our granite is not permanently sealed; I don't think that was a choice. But it's no harder to seal it than it is to dust a piece of furniture. Just spray and wipe. Easy. I don't know why so many people think it is hard to care for? I wipe it off with a soapy dish cloth just like I did with our Formica. And I use the sealer spray and wipe when I think to do it, maybe twice a year. I don't baby it. I cut on it. But if you cut on it be aware that the experts state it will dull your knives Smiley Wink Of course I don't slam bags of ice on the edges of it either! It will break if you hit it with something hard. But most damage can be repaired.

I've never seen any mold or mildew at the joints of my granite. I have one seam in the middle of the sink area that is not easy to see but I know it's there. The only other joints are where granite meets granite (we have a short granite back-splash that goes up to a granite bar and I can feel a clear sealant or something there but I can't see it) and where the granite meets the tile back-splash. The builder used a flexible grout there and it is marvelous. Looks like sanded grout (has sand it) but doesn't crack even if the house settles a little. Still looks perfect after four years.

Here is an image from the Web that looks similar to what we picked out. We picked our own slab at the granite place and had a lot of fun deciding what we wanted. I didn't want something too dark or too light. Light can show things like dirt and stains, dark can show things like fingerprints Smiley Wink I think my choice is perfect!! IMHO Smiley Wink

We are downsizing & moving into my Dad's house. I redid his kitchen about 15 years ago. So his cabinets are a very light bone/cream oak finish...popular at that time. His health declined through the years and I did the best I could keeping up & cleaning his house before he passed away. But the cabinets are still really grimy. DH is over there right now cleaning them with mineral spirits. (I'll heard this takes off grime....we'll see.)

We decided to leave cabinets, get new knobs, a new sink & granite countertop. The slab we picked out was similar to this one. It is semi-matte called "leather" finish. I like that it will not show fingerprints and marks. I forgot to take pics of the slab. But I will do b4 & after pics of the kitchen.

Honored Contributor

I've had granite in my kitchen for six years. Love it, so easy to clean and always looks great. Even though you can place hot pans on the granite, I still use hot pads (an old habit). My granite is multiple colors of shades of brown, gold, rust, and cream (similar to post 72). I clean it with Simple Green and apply granite polish afterwards.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Valued Contributor

I love my granite counter top.  I agree it depends the warmth of the granite depends on your color choice.

i chose "Lady Dreams" about 10 years ago when we updated our kitchen.  I went to a large granite yard and picked out the slabs I wanted for mu kitchen.  Is so warm and has a little red garnet that runs through the granite.  I chose a copper sink and oil rub bronze faucets.  It is so beautiful and I cook and it so easy to maintain.  I would never change it is a statement.  Any new visitor never fails to coment on my kitchen.