Honored Contributor

I love wallpaper like the blue print; I like the dishes.  I had tassles like that on several things in the last home.

I don't know why people say "afraid of color."  Isn't that pretty judgmental?  I mean really, afraid?

How about saying some people don't like a lot of color.   Some people's taste doesn't run toward a lot of color.  Things like that.

I do not fear color.  I don't like a lot of it.  To me, cool, calm and restful is what I like in my home.  I like cleaner lines, softer surroundings, more sophisticated look, and less clutter.  And to my eye, a lot of color is either cluttered looking, or in small bright doses sort of jarring in a house.

So there I've said it.  I sort of resent "fearing color".  I could mix color in great ways, and have done in small bathrooms, and for a lot of friends.  But I don't want to live with it. 

Honored Contributor

I like the bathroom with the big tub.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

At least it appears to give a more "comfy vibe" than the ultra stark and modern trend which resembles more of an office setting JMHO....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Not my style. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's definitely not my thing......give me sleek mid-century modern any day over this.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of most of the prints and florals used in this style. I don't like the tub or the sofa. The only appealing photo for me is the warm wood in the 5th photo - minus the tassels. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is a new term for me. I'm impressed by decor knowlege of many HOME posters. I'm not a fan of this style but understand many may be.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I welcome any style that celebrates using good quality furnishings from the past rather than using resources to create short term particle board furniture.  I hate that good quality items are being tossed into landfills simply because they don't match some conceived notion of today's style.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I love wallpaper like the blue print; I like the dishes.  I had tassles like that on several things in the last home.

I don't know why people say "afraid of color."  Isn't that pretty judgmental?  I mean really, afraid?

How about saying some people don't like a lot of color.   Some people's taste doesn't run toward a lot of color.  Things like that.

I do not fear color.  I don't like a lot of it.  To me, cool, calm and restful is what I like in my home.  I like cleaner lines, softer surroundings, more sophisticated look, and less clutter.  And to my eye, a lot of color is either cluttered looking, or in small bright doses sort of jarring in a house.

So there I've said it.  I sort of resent "fearing color".  I could mix color in great ways, and have done in small bathrooms, and for a lot of friends.  But I don't want to live with it. 

@Sooner   I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say when I used the words "afraid of color".  With so many decorators going for neutrals, Erin seems willing (as a designer) to be a little different and not follow any specific trend and not care so much about her reputation as a designer. I find that very refreshing.  She is not afraid (concerned) about what every one else thinks about her flair for color. She is that way even in her choice of clothing.  I truely admire that in a person.  I hope this explains what I was trying to say.   

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner   I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say when I used the words "afraid of color".  With so many decorators going for neutrals, Erin seems willing (as a designer) to be a little different and not follow any specific trend and not care so much about her reputation as a designer. I find that very refreshing.  She is not afraid (concerned) about what every one else thinks about her flair for color. She is that way even in her choice of clothing.  I truely admire that in a person.  I hope this explains what I was trying to say.   

@jubilant Oh I wasn't you specifically, and my fault that you took it that way--I apologize Woman Embarassed.

I have just come to find that term in general use--and you see it all the time here--offensive. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you are afraid of it.

The general phrase actually suggests that one is timid, boring, lackluster, fearful, etc. etc.  I think it is something suggesting how someone is rather than a simple like or dislike.

I think it's a phrase that should go by the wayside--and so maybe people will think before they accuse someone of being "afraid."  Which is very different than "not fond of".