Respected Contributor

Got some chairs reupholstered and need opinions

Hi. I have some furniture - 2 chairs and 1 ottoman that were my mom's that are over 40 years old. They were an orangey color back in the 70's when those orange, gold and avocado colors were in. Then my mom had them recovered in a mauve fabric back when that color was in. I've had them for several years and finally got them reupholstered. I wanted to update them.

Got them back yesterday and am very pleased except for one thing, I asked for no buttons (tufting?) on the back and no skirts. They came back with skirts. Last night my husband and I were talking about what to do. Live with it or make them take the skirts off. Not sure if it would be difficult or not. I showed him the legs of the chairs and we tried to envision how it'd look with no skirts. Hate to go to the hassle of taking the skirts off and regretting it. I was trying to update the chairs and not sure if the skirts look old-fashioned.

Here are the before and after pics and a pic of the leg. Pardon the background. The pic of the pink chair is when it was shoved in the back bedroom with all my Christmas cr@p, etc. and the new chair is not where it will be. The Christmas tree is in the way. Yes, my tree is still up but it's coming down this weekend. So what would you do about the skirts?

IMG_4281.JPG

IMG_4276.JPG

IMG_4280.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Got some chairs reupholstered and need opinions

The chair looks great.....i actually have a wingback chair and ottoman that i have debated getting professionally recovered.....i have been using a Surefit cover but would love it to be redone.        I think the skirt looks great and not old fashioned....and goes well with the  ottoman....i think from the pic...they did a great job...i would be happy with it..

Respected Contributor

I think the bottom pleat is ok. the untuffed is nice. What kind of dog do you have?

Esteemed Contributor

IMO, I would leave them skirted. The legs are pretty "plain" and don't add anything to the chairs if showing. Just my opinion. PS: My tree is still up, too, and I want your dog. LOL

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

IMO the gams on those chairs are not pretty.  They are there to do a job and were not made for show.  I'd leave the skirts on.  

btw, I love the fabric you chose for the chairs.  They look great.

Valued Contributor

I don't think the skirt looks dated. 

Your chair and ottoman came out beautiful. 

Respected Contributor

@crazycockermom  (I love your nick).  Please!  I love the skirts!  Really, I think it looks great as is.  I'm thinking too, that if you remove them the chairs will look like 50's (I was there, so I remember).  The doggie is cute too!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Looks great!  I'd leave the skirt on, it looks really nice.

Respected Contributor

Wow - I'm so glad I asked you all. Thanks so much for the comments and responses!!

When I showed DH the legs last night, he said they looked plain and dated and he changed his vote to keeping the skirts on. So I said I'd ask the girls on the Q forum to get their opinions. So glad I did. I will keep the skirts.

My mom is the one I would've asked first but she passed away 10 yrs ago. My dad remarried and my stepmom was supposed to help me pick out fabric for my chairs and drapes for the dining room but she passed away earlier this year so I've had to grow up (I'm in my mid 40s haha) and figure it out myself. It always helps to have others input though, imo.

Thank you all so much!!

And for those that asked, Ruger is a chocolate cocker spaniel. He is my little buddy and so awesome! Best dog ever. Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

@crazycockermom

If you really want to lose the skirts, you could try changing the legs to something fancier - that is if they un-screw - some do, some don't.

Personally, I like the skirts, they don't look dated & they give the bottom a finished look.

I love the fabric you picked.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your dog!!! That's "Ruger" right???