Honored Contributor

Re: Got a new dryer

[ Edited ]

To save energy launder items which take the least amount of time to dry first. Then when the next load is ready to go into the dryer it will already be 'pre-heated' so the dryer will use less energy to heat up enough to dry heavier items. Keep the dryer door closed as much as possible to conserve heat. Add/remove items quickly. Don't just pull out one piece at a time to fold it. Take out the entire load and then sort/fold.

A dryer is the biggest energy hog of all major appliances in the house, excluding HVAC.

Honored Contributor

@sann wrote:

I just recently had to buy a new dryer...I use the auto dry cycle which can last different amounts of time .....the moisture sensors detect when the clothes are dry and will automatically stop... no figuring out how long to set the drying cycle..

I have the same thing.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee this dryer (as well as the previous one) has a cool-down feature that runs at the end of each cycle, presumably to keep wrinkles from setting in, so when my dryer stops and I open the door, there's no heat left in there. What you say makes sense, though.  Thanks for the suggestion. 🙂