Honored Contributor

Good Deals on Silverware--Hooray for Ebay

I had a thread on mixing and combining flatware a little while ago, but this one is on adding to your existing set(s).

Have a talent for picking stainless flatware that then gets discontinued.  Some years ago, QVC offered a RSVP pattern called "Fenwick".  I loved it!   It was heavy, high quality, 18/10 stainless steel, was in a simple, classic, colonial "fiddle and thread" shape, which is my favorite, and it was "monogrammed".  Got the set and have used ever since, sometimes mixing with another but much smaller stainless service, Towle's Boston Antique.  (I hardly ever use my small sterling silver set.)

Long story short-- Fenwick has been discontinued.  But it turned up used from an estate on Ebay, a whole huge set (aboout 90 pieces)  minus one or two pieces. The monogram is "Y", which is fine with me, it happens to be one of my favorite letters!  Low price, and we bid even lower ($30) and the bid was accepted.   It allows me to have extras to my own set and replacements for my few pieces that have "gone missing" over the years.

Came today, and now there are dozens of glossy, like-new barely used pieces spread all over my kitchen counter, including half a dozen beautiful, oversize serving pieces...

If you have a beloved set that is no longer being made, ebay is a great resource for extra and replacement pieces.

Honored Contributor

Re: Good Deals on Silverware--Hooray for Ebay

@Oznell

Congratulations!  Love when things work out like that; you were meant to have that flatware.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Agreed, sweet @Drythe!

Honored Contributor

I had a very inexpensive set of stainless flatware that was a gift from my great aunt back when I was 18, for my hope chest. 

When I moved out on my own, I had that service for eight, and used it for many years. When I could afford to, I got a bit better set, more ornate and put away my gift. We used it to take our lunches to work for many years prior. 

One day a few years ago I was cleaning out and found my original flatware. I was shocked to find I still had service for eight in everything....except I had zero forks!

On to ebay I went and found an entire service for 8 and bought it just to get the forks!

I was ecstatic to be able to put back together the set my beloved great aunt, who was like a grandmother to me, had gifted me so many years ago. 

Every once in awhile I get that set out and use it and remember when.

Honored Contributor

I do wonder what we ever did before ebay!!

Honored Contributor

That is even better, @Mominohio, to complete a set that has such family and sentimental associations.  Now you have taken something that you love, but was fragmented, and made it totally useful again.  Ebay, plus the Silver Superstore and Replacements are great for that-- it's surprising what obscure and vintage patterns will show up.

I found out there is a brisk second hand market in my mother's silver plate pattern, "Modern Love",  which I remember so well from the distant, fondly remembered past.  It has a very cool almost vaguely Deco look to it, and I was tempted to try to get some teaspoons in it....

But before total pack rat-ism set in, I stopped myself and said, just enjoy the memories!