Esteemed Contributor

Re: Good Bones Design Challenge: Ugly Lamp

Spray paint the base a new color and en-crust the fish with crushed up something - old plates, pots, some novel material you find.

I kind of like the shade and in fact, woudn't do anything, as I like "patina", but I am curious to see what you do.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Depends upon what look you are going for.

I actually am attracted to the shade, its different.

I'd start by spray painting the body (not base) of the lamp white.  Then I'd handpaint the fish, using 2 colors. You could paint top line of fish one color, bottom different.  Or alternate colors.   After that I'd evaluate if the shade needed painting, if so, I'd go with white.

Many options, have fun!

Respected Contributor

@lolakimonoI would use some sort of metal paint, maybe in a light blue, and spray paint the entire lamp base.  Hand paint the fish, either in white or black, and then put a drum style white shade on it.  

If you want to hide the fish, then take rope and wrap it tightly around the lamp from top to bottom to completely cover the base (painting the base whatever color the rope is so no brass color will show through).

At the very least, that shade has got to go. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I should have also said I like the brass.  I am surprised so many want to change that.

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@lolakimono change the shade for sure.  I wouldn't do anything else.  It is fancy enough in all its brassiness!  Wood is nice.  Like the fish.

Honored Contributor

I would only change the shade.  (I'm not good at this stuff!)  I would not attempt gluing items on it, etc.

Honored Contributor

I'm waiting on something that I ordered to arrive, but I thought I would share the lampshade that I purchased.Cat Happy

Product Image 1

I went to exactly ONE big box store to get the shade, harp and finial, as I didn't want this to be a major undertaking. 

I thought the shade looked like waves.🐟🌊 🐟🌊 🐟🌊 🐟🌊

Honored Contributor

I do like the new lamp shade and it does look like waves....now I can see the fish painted standout colors to make the lamp interesting...JMO

Looking forward to the unveiling!

Esteemed Contributor

Spray paint it ocean blue. Encrust the bottom with sea shells and pieces of shells. Get a deep drum shade and glue turtles diving and fish on the shade. Can’t wait to see what you did with it. 

Honored Contributor

I would definitely paint the base with Rustoleum. If I had an idea of the decor you have already chosen it would be easy to pick a color and a finish. I would either go with a Rustoleum metallic finish or a navy. I’d replace the shade. It has to go. 

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono Like the shade.  What store did you purchase it at?