Honored Contributor

Re: Good Bones Design Challenge: Ugly Lamp

@Desertdi wrote:

I was going to write something.......but I didn't want you to think I am mean.... di

@Desertdi 

Blow it up then bury the pieces in the desert, LOL?

Esteemed Contributor

Other than a new shade in a different shape, why would you mess up a good design?   The beauty of this is in the nostalgia ... what was it like back when this lamp was "in vogue" so to speak.   

Design something around it ... e.g., old photos/posters  from a vintage era (World War II memorabilia), or better yet -- have some of your budding artists recreate them -- as a lesson in history; an old fish tank (to store stuff ... books, CDs, etc)  ... something 

Image result for vintage fish posters

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono 

I’d paint it in a black/white theme.

The fish are almost Harlequin patterned shape, so I’d paint those b/w. (touching triangles) Shade either plain or perhaps with a pattern.

ideas: 

17223B09-19A6-43E8-850C-F44CA3B7425F.jpeg Black shade with ribbon trim

26FCB473-F984-40B9-BB1A-9EC16945C447.jpeg

Another:

3A765B3F-7976-4918-BA22-E05AD85DFD2E.jpeg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Laughed when I saw your thread @lolakimono...I recently started watching Crazy Lamp Lady on YouTube & I'm addicted. Never had any interest in lamps but her finds along with the other items she buys to sell on eBay are so much fun. Her friend, Sue Me on YouTube redid a lamp & it was interesting. I'll look forward to seeing your make over...have fun too.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am absolutely not good at re-purposing things, so whatever you do will probably be better than any suggestion I would have about the base.

I do know that I would definitely get a new lampshade.  That one is really bad....sorry!

Looking forward to your finished product.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono 

Will you please alert me when you are done with the lamp?

I know whatever you decide it will be perfect in the setting for students to make them feel like school as a “home away from home.”

That is always a good thing!

And I am also one who is not good at repurposing things.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not sure my suggestions are good for school decor, but here goes.

I think the shape of the lampshade is perfect for this lamp; although, it has an oriental feeling to me.  I'd like to see it black.  

I would polish the base...find brass colored paint or match it to the color of the lamp, paint the fish so they look like imprints as if they were carved into metal.

Another thought, if the base is solid brass, can the brown paint on the fish be removed exposing the brass underneath.  

Even if choosing a lighter lampshade or different style, I would still want the fish to be the same color as the lamp base.   

I think the painted brown fish or painting them other colors makes the lamp look cheap. 

Esteemed Contributor

I like the show. 

Your lamp is not for me but only you can decide what you can live with. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

I was going to write something.......but I didn't want you to think I am mean.... di

@Desertdi 

Blow it up then bury the pieces in the desert, LOL?

@lolakimono     Well.......I just bought a better looking one for $1 at a thrift shop.......so I might have said that "you overpaid"........(!!) di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono change the shade for sure.  I wouldn't do anything else.  It is fancy enough in all its brassiness!  Wood is nice.  Like the fish.