Respected Contributor

Re: Going Back to a Coffee Percolator

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

LuckyCharm: Do not understand your reply. We burn in our furnace. It is a wood burner in the basement and keeps 3600 feet of house nice and cozy.

@Group 5 minus 1  Burning plastics releases oil/petroleum.  It can also release toxins.  I use Roger's Famliy Coffee pods that are made from 100% corn and biodegrade.  Here is what they look like.  I compost them.  I have them on auto-delivery from when they had their Veteran's Day special two or three years ago.  I've been getting them for a while now.  Their price is fantastic and the coffee excellent.  I'm a bit of a coffee snob because I drink it black usually.  Using creamer and/or sugar covers that.  A pinch of salt can also take the bitterness out of cheaper coffees if you want to combat that.  I don't get any of that with Roger's coffee. 

Image result for rogers family coffee pods

Honored Contributor

Tigress: Thnkx for the tip. 

Respected Contributor

I used a Cuisinart thermal coffeemaker for a few years, & they always died after about 1 year of daily use. The coffee never tasted that great.

I thought I'd try a percolator, & that was a total bust. The old-fashioned type my parents used made good coffee & lasted forever. The pot I bought not only made horrible-tasting coffee, it also died almost immediately. 

Sooooo, I bought a Frieling stainless steel french press (at BB&B with 20% off coupon). I buy organic coffee beans & grind my own daily. It makes EXCELLENT coffee. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@catlover, mine is exactly like the first one.  I love mine and only use my Keruig when I want a cup in the evening. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spot555 wrote:

I used a Cuisinart thermal coffeemaker for a few years, & they always died after about 1 year of daily use. The coffee never tasted that great.

I thought I'd try a percolator, & that was a total bust. The old-fashioned type my parents used made good coffee & lasted forever. The pot I bought not only made horrible-tasting coffee, it also died almost immediately. 

Sooooo, I bought a Frieling stainless steel french press (at BB&B with 20% off coupon). I buy organic coffee beans & grind my own daily. It makes EXCELLENT coffee. Smiley Happy

@spot555

I've looked them up since seeing your post.  Good reviews on BB&B.  Can you make just one or two cups with one or do you have to fill it all the way up.  Also, not wild about having to grind my own coffee.  Can I use the same ground coffee I used for the drip coffee makers?  I only use organic also.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@spot555

I've looked them up since seeing your post.  Good reviews on BB&B.  Can you make just one or two cups with one or do you have to fill it all the way up.  Also, not wild about having to grind my own coffee.  Can I use the same ground coffee I used for the drip coffee makers?  I only use organic also.

First thing....if you do try a French press, start with a stainless steel, great quality one. My first press was a Bodum glass canister, & they are SO easy to break. The entire press wasn't very good in any way.

Yes, you can make a single cup of coffee. You just learn how many ounces of water & how many scoops of coffee you need. You don't need to grind your own coffee. It's easy to research online the ratio (I think I watched Y-tube videos....no big deal).

You'll need to adjust the ratio according to your taste buds- a little trial & error. With a press, it's best to make only the amount of coffee you'll be drinking at that time. Once you press it, drink it. It doesn't taste good after it sits a while (gets strong, etc.)

FYI, I got the Frieling with a brushed stainless finish...retail was about $99.95, minus 20% coupon (can't remember how many ounces it holds). I was going to get the next size down, & I'm glad I got this size...wouldn't want it any smaller for my needs. 

In case you want to know, I buy Ruta Maya organic dark roast beans at Costco online. I use a really small Braun electric grinder daily for my coffee. It takes up no space to speak of, & grinds the coffee in about 20 seconds. 

Hopefully this doesn't seem complicated, because it isn't. Like I said before, it's trial & error according to your taste buds, the coffee you use, & the size of the grind. Heart

Honored Contributor

It was many years ago i had one,if i remember correctly the coffee got very strong and bitter ,if you let it sit.OLD COFFEE.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

It was many years ago i had one,if i remember correctly the coffee got very strong and bitter ,if you let it sit.OLD COFFEE.

Yes, that's true- drink right after you press it. If you let it sit a while, it turns to coffee sludge, lol. 

Honored Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Yes, that's true- drink right after you press it. If you let it sit a while, it turns to coffee sludge, lol. 

I was speaking of the old percolators, only tried the french press ,a few times years ago.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a set in three sizes - they were my mom's (cerca 1950s).  Every once in a while I use them just for nostaligic reasons.  I guess I'm not doing it right, because the coffee turns out miserably every time.  Still, I have them on display because looking at them makes my heart happy :-)

ETA:  I got a Farberware electric percolator as a shower gift. It worked wonderfully for a couple of decades.  I think we finally donated it before our last move because DH preferred the drip machine.  A few years ago, I bought another Farberware and the base of it melted after a few weeks - it literally melted.  I was very lucky it didn't cause a fire.  BB&B took it back, no problems, but I was very disappointed in the brand.

~ house cat ~