Trusted Contributor

Re: Going Back to a Coffee Percolator

@Desert Lily

Thank you for your suggestions.  Dopey me thought of online sites afterwards.  And, I do prefer the glass lid & the water level tube.  I bought (by mistake) one without the water level & couldn't stand it.  I was glad that one bit the dust.  I'm only working 1 day this week, so I'll have the time to go out & about for one.   

Thank you for thinking of me,

Honored Contributor

We really like coffee in our pod type coffee maker. We have no plans to change. In case anyone wonders we burn all burnable garbage.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

@kivah  You may want to try eBay and get a vintage percolator.  That is where I got the ceramic one that I used this morning.  You may find what you are looking for there.

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I can top that! Try perking your coffee in a steel, old time perculator over an open fire! When we camp, we perk our coffee over the campfire! Now that's the true taste of coffee that can't be beat! Woman Happy

That’s the way grandpa made it in the Rocky Mountains.  It smelled so good. 

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

We really like coffee in our pod type coffee maker. We have no plans to change. In case anyone wonders we burn all burnable garbage.

I didn't know it was good to burn the plastic pods.  I think I read the guy that invented those *cups* regretted that he added tremendously to the landfill issue.

When we used our Kuerig, I'd bought a couple of stainless steel *cups*.  Reusable (forever!) and I didn't worry about the plastic becoming toxic when it came in contact with the hot water.

Honored Contributor

Are the French Press ones or other ones that can be used on a gas stove really good for a hot cup of coffee?

As I sit here and drink a *warm* cup.  I add a speck of coconut milk and that makes it go from steamy hot to drinkable--immediately.  

I want HOT!

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Are the French Press ones or other ones that can be used on a gas stove really good for a hot cup of coffee?

As I sit here and drink a *warm* cup.  I add a speck of coconut milk and that makes it go from steamy hot to drinkable--immediately.  

I want HOT!

@Lucky Charm.  I don't know if this will work for you as I don't use coconut milk but use regular milk. I also like my coffee HOT.

We have a Keurig. I also heat my cup like you do. I run it under the faucet in very hot water for a minute or so then dry with a paper towel. I put my milk in the cup and microwave for 30 seconds. Milk and cup are both hot. Then use the Keurig. Coffee comes out very hot.

If you don't have a Microwave you could heat the milk on the stove. I just do it slightly, not so it curdles.

Super Contributor

I have one of the glass percolator and a drip pot in our emergency area to se when the electricity goes out. But now we use a generator so we haven't used those in many years. GOOD coffee

Regular Contributor

I love perked coffee!!I use  Keurig daily, but perk for company or a holiday.  I have a GE that I received as a wedding gift 50 years ago--still works!  8 cups.  Bought a 12-cup Farberware several years ago that works beautifully.  My grandmother always had a coffee pot on the stove--she used a steel vacuum pot.She died 30 years ago at age 101--and drank coffee from her saucer.  That is the way that tea was originally drunk a couple hundred years ago.  Thanks for the memories.

Honored Contributor

LuckyCharm: Do not understand your reply. We burn in our furnace. It is a wood burner in the basement and keeps 3600 feet of house nice and cozy.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man