Respected Contributor

Going Back to a Coffee Percolator

I've had a few complex coffee/espresso makers with all the bells and whistles. They've been complicated to clean, and taking them apart to do so takes away the convenience and some enjoyment. I don't want a pre-determined amount of coffee grounds in those little individual plastic cups, and sometimes I just want the simple coffee from earlier times. I bought my millennial child an electric coffee percolator 3 years ago when it was retro trendy for that age group, and today I bought one for myself. Remember the aroma that filled the house from a percolator and the fresh robust flavor of the coffee? When I was a child, the neighbor lady had a non-electric percolator she used on the stove and you could watch the coffee bubble up into the glass knob at the top. The percolator I bought also has a glass knob. Anyone else have a percolator?

Honored Contributor

Re: Going Back to a Coffee Percolator

I have two percolators that I use when we have a crowd.  One holds about 12 cups the other is very large...party size though I'm not sure of the number of cups.  Both were my mothers and yes the aroma is wonderful when the coffee is percolating!

I'm not a big coffee drinker so for me the individual cups work fine for everyday.

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily

We have two percolators and feel they are still the best!

https://animatedimagepic.com/image/christmas/Merry-Christmas-20.gif

Trusted Contributor

Yes I still have a percolator as backup to my Keurig.  I will never be without it because I really think it makes a better cup of coffee.  I love being able to "top off" my cup to keep it warm.  

Respected Contributor

I can still remember the sound and smell of the cheap little percolator on top of the stove that my parents had.  

Respected Contributor

i remember sleeping over my aunts house and she alllways used a percolator and yes house smelled like fresh coffee. she had 3 different size pots..

Honored Contributor

That's all I have ever used.......(a stovetop; corning and pyrex)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I can top that! Try perking your coffee in a steel, old time perculator over an open fire! When we camp, we perk our coffee over the campfire! Now that's the true taste of coffee that can't be beat! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I don’t use a percolator but my parents used a glass one on the stove. Wow what memories from the ‘50s. 

Honored Contributor

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT