Respected Contributor

I am ready for the worst & I certainly hope all my south Floridian forum friends are ready as well.  It needs to stay a tropical storm or better yet; dissipate!  It's been 10 years since Wilma hit.  DH reminded me that thanks to all the battery operated candles we have, the neighbors will think we have electricity if it happens to go out, lol.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, go away, Erika!!!  I have family and friends and forum friends in South Florida.  I will remember everyone who is in the path of this storm and just hoping it will weaken and not cause more problems.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Go Away Erika!!

[ Edited ]

Hoping Erika dissipates and doesn't strengthen before reaching FL.  I am not in the path at the moment, but I am sorry for those who have been and those who may be.

Thank goodness for flameless candles, right? 

Honored Contributor

I hold my breath every season it seems, so here Iam again hoping all are as prepared as possible and just don't need the water, the ice, the batteries, the radio and whatever food and gas they've stockpiled for Erika or any other storm.

I say yeah for the battery-run candles.  Somehow even with all the years of hurricane prep here on LI, I never realized until I went through Francis in Florida that regular candles are really a no no.

Good luck everyone.  My condo is in the cone, but I'm personally safe and can watch sort of dispassionately as Erika grinds westward.

Trusted Contributor

I live right smack in the middle of track of Erika.  I'm praying that it dies en route because even as a tropical storm, it can be very dangerous as this storm has already caused four deaths already.  I've lived through five hurricanes, some worse than others, but none are ever predictable.  No amount of planning is ever enough for the fear of losing everything.  Even after 10 years I will never underestimate any storm - tropical or otherwise.  Having no power for an extended period of time is also no picnic.  I take nothing for granted because you just never know.  To all who live in Florida and especially S.E. coast - stay safe and let's hope it doesn't come our way, but heads right into the hurricane graveyeard with no others on it heels.

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop  and other Floridians...stay safe! I remember when my folks were living in Englewood and my sister was in Punta Gorda when Charley hit in 2004. It was no picnic. 

Trusted Contributor

Well now the Governor has declared a State of Emergency and enlisted the National Guard - Erika - GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  There is one 1 mph difference between a tropical storm and a Cat 1 hurricane - gosh I hate this time of year.  This is when I want to go home to NYC ....

Trusted Contributor

Sending prayers to everyone in her path.  Please be safe.

Trusted Contributor

Hoping that Erika dies down and all our forum friends are safe from this one.  A scary time of year.   Stay safe and try to keep in touch as much as possible.

JPC

Respected Contributor

I wish I wasn't off work today.  The overkill of the news stations is wearing on me.  Of course, I remember our first hurricane adventure when we moved here 20 years ago & I realize there have been many who have relocated here after Wilma & Katrina that do not understand the urgency of being prepared & need this information.  Too bad there is not a Christmas/Fall show on the Q to divert my attention.  I guess I'll watch a movie; THE PERFECT STORM maybe?? I hope everyone who is affected reports back here after the storm.  Hunker down!!