Esteemed Contributor

Re: Glass Interior Doorknobs

We have an older home and I have those glass knobs on all the doors in the lower level. We did quite a bit of updating and I saved all the knobs and the doors for re-use on future projects. Those knobs are beautiful! I have light colors in a semi open floor plan with some glass tables.  I plan on using those knobs somewhere in the house.  I just haven't made up my mind whether to use them on closet doors, doors where privacy is not a concern or some other project.  I want to see them in the main level.  So beautiful!!!

Honored Contributor

I just built my cottage 2 years ago. I really wanted all glass door handles. I love them!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

We have an old house and glass doorknobs everywhere but the front door. Love them! My favorite ones are the ones that were on the outside of the house a long time and have turned a beautiful light purple color because of exposure. I remember in the Little LuLu comics that she used a glass doorknob as a crystal ball. Guess that's when I became a big fan of them! 

I had no idea the sunlight turned them purple!  A few of our beach houses have the clear and one front door (east facing) is a beautiful lilac hue.

I planted two lilacs on either side of the porch to compliment the knob.

It's so pretty a friend who is a photographer used a picture of ours for artwork and stationary.

I remember about 30 years ago, someone told me that each knob was worth about 50 dollars.  I ran around and counted how many I had.  I thought I should be a millionaire!

That makes two of us Lucky Charm! Lucky us! When we sold my DH's grandmother's house we took all the outside knobs which had all turned that lovely lilac color to add to our stash. And thanks for the gardening tip about the Lilacs! They would match perfect. Must try that by the back door maybe in some big lilac color pots. I buy the glass knobs whenever I see them at yard/garage sales or at flea markets so I have a nice little collection. The ones with any color at all are hard to find now. Tried to use them like LuLu but so far no luck using as a crystal ball.Woman Wink 

Honored Contributor

Had those growing up............I thought they were big "diamonds".     I think you can still find them on the net.     I wouldn't mind having them (if my current ones fell off....)    My decorator "style" is "One of Each"...................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I have ONE beautiful lavender one, and the rest are clear. 

I LOVE all of your comments! So happy to find some fellow fans!

Respected Contributor

I have a relative that lives in a Tuder Style home . They have very tall solid oak interior doors. All the door knobs are Amber colored glass knobs. Very beautiful !

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure how glass doorknobs would look in a contemporary home.  I have an older home and all  but two pocket doors have glass doorknobs. They complement the structural style of the house which I have, in turn, decorated with modern, contemporary furnishings.