Super Contributor

Giving a decorator a free hand

So often I see programs on TV where the homeowner gives a decorator $80,000 + and leaves the home during renovation.  The decorator picks out colors, countertops, flooring, even exterior house color.  I couldn't do that.  I would be a "helicopter" client, overseeing every little thing.  Probably would make the decorator wonder why I hired anyone to begin with.  Would you give a decorator carte blanche when deciding how your home looks?  Or is it just being a control freak?  Woman Tongue 

Man plans. God laughs.
Super Contributor

Re: Giving a decorator a free hand

Maybe they are so well off they can redo it if they don't like it?  I could not do it for sure, I'd need to check off what they wanted to do.  But I'll never have 80,000 dollars to redecorate anyway LOL

Honored Contributor

My thought is many of them want to sell their homes so this is a way to improve them using current trends.

Esteemed Contributor

For some who have the money, don't want the hassle and want something nice I guess this works. Agree with poster - it would make me anxious to walk away with ideas and not know what to find. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

It's  probably fake like everything else.  The homeowner IMO, already knows ahead of time what is being done and they know what materials are going in there.

You can't believe everything you see on Reality TV.

Honored Contributor

I think some of that freedom is given because to get the final effect they get could well cost even more in the area where they live.

I also think there is more consultation on some shows but it's behind the scenes because just like they show in 5 minutes the demolition that can take hours and hours and hours, it makes sense to me that they limit those consultations -  listening to someone dither over which shade of white paint works best isn't interesting after the first ten seconds --  unless it's my house.

Esteemed Contributor

If I had an extra $80,000 and wanted a home refresh I doubt I could turn it over to a designer 100%.  I would love to work with Nate Berkus and Jeremiah Brent as they, at least on their show, seem to listen to their clients and involve them in decisions.  Color choices are extreamly important to me and if I came home to green, brown (expect for flooring or tables) or yellow I would be most unhappy.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

It's  probably fake like everything else.  The homeowner IMO, already knows ahead of time what is being done and they know what materials are going in there.

You can't believe everything you see on Reality TV.

@Carmie I will guarantee you that you are right about that.  I am sure they are given a selection to ok, maybe not THE final materials and colors, but a selection to approve. 

Respected Contributor

No, never.  I'm far too picky.   

After we moved in to the house we'd built in PA , I went in to a small shop and bought a pretty display cabinet from Indonesia.  With the purchase came a free hour for consultation with a local decorator.

She came out and after we went through the house, she said everything was beautifully done and asked what decorator I'd used and said she might know her/him.  I told her I'd hadn't used a decorator.  She was surprised and said she really didn't have much to suggest except that I could get a small glass top table and lamp to put at the end of the sofa.  I walked into the sun room and moved a table and lamp to the spot , she laughed and said 'perfect'.   

So, no decorator for me.  

Valued Contributor

Never would happen, even if I were a trillionaire! I appreciate input on what goes where and in my kitchen redesign I certainly relied on expert advise I do not posess, but I alone chose colors and materials.  I like that mix.