Honored Contributor

Gifts for the home, your opinion.

I know this topic can be a little touchy for some women, but at holiday times, you often read on here that people want or don't want certain things for gifts.

I was raised by a mother that had nothing as a child, including parents. When she married and had a home of her own, she was more than happy to get anything for her home as a holiday gift. A coffee pot, a sweeper, dish towels, sheets, anything that she needed to make a nice home was gold in her eyes. She went years and never got personal items, jewelry, or clothing, and was happy that way (they didn't have much the first 15 years of marriage).

I am the same way. If I've been eyeing new sheets or a set of Temptaions, I'm tickled pink to get them. If you think these things are inappropriate or rude gifts, could you tell why they are offensive or not good enough. I'm not picking a fight, but looking for real honest explanations as to the way some of us women think and see these things. I have to be honest and say that I think that it comes from being "spoiled" to some extent, in having the money or ability to get all that you need, and preferring your "wants" (jewelry, clothing, etc.) be filled at times of gifting.

Any insight would be appreciated!