Regular Contributor

Getting a sleep number bed opinions please

we are planning on getting a whole new bedroom set, my question is, what bed did you guys get for a split king,looking at upholstery beds. I was considering the sleep number upholstery bed,but they are soooo expensive. Is the frame or base connected to the bed,thanks for the replies

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Getting a sleep number bed opinions please

We purchased a Sleep Number bed a few years ago from QVC. Best sleep EVER for the both of us---I like a hard mattress and he likes a soft mattress.  I can't  imagine having anything other than this brand. We purchased the riser feet with ours because I wanted to use my current underbed storage drawers. Ours did not come with a frame but that was fine because we were bolting the Sleep Number to our oversized storage headboard.

The split bed looks terrific.    

Esteemed Contributor

My only experience with a Sleep Number bed was at a Radisson hotel. It was awful. Perhaps the bed was not in the best shape because so many different people had slept on it. However, I stayed at that hotel twice more during the same year and found the beds to be just as bad, regardless of the different rooms where I stayed. The bed just felt off. I tried to reset it numerous times but nothing I did made the bed comfortable. I decided that if I had to return to that area in the future, I'd find a different hotel, even though the Radisson was the best and most convenient in the area. It was a lovely hotel in every other way but I just couldn't get comfortable on those Sleep Number beds.

Trusted Contributor

We bought one for my elderly mother after her first back injury, and she loved it. The ability to raise/lower head and foot independently was great for her condition. 2 years later and I can tell you that I would not buy one for myself. Mom has sustained another back injury and the bed still works for her, but it gets out of shape easily due to the foam inner wall construction. I have to open the thing up and reposition the foam pieces - she sits on the edge of the bed and those pieces shift easily. The material used for the top (she has an i8) is so sticky that the bottom sheet will not lay smooth and just turning over in bed is difficult - it's not a smooth transition.  The ability to adjust firmness is nice, but we've got it up to 95 now and it still feels like mush. Sleep Number wants to charge about $180 for someone to come out and look at itI wouldn't buy one again, that's for sure. I have a friend who hated hers so much she went back to using a waterbed!!!

Respected Contributor

I was leaning towards the sleep number and then read where you are essentially paying that much for an air mattress.  I got a Tempur-Pedic.  Very expensive and we got the adjustable one. It took awhile to get used to but I'm happy with it. If you don't have any real back or spine issues, there are some really nice beds out that are much cheaper and you can get the adjustable base. 

Super Contributor

I absolutely love ours. We have had it 16 years and it's moved with us many times w the military. Can't recommend it enough.  Regular mattresses are expensive and you have to replace every 8 years so cost wise it's not expensive if you look at it that way.  Go to the store and lay on them all.  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

the base is separate. Easy to set up your self too as we've done many times.  Don't have the split ones, heard buying sheets is a pain.  

Respected Contributor

We have had ours for about 9 months now. I love it. We got the one with adjustable head and foot and it really helped me with my breathing/snoring to elevate my head. And I elevate my feet quite a bit - seems to take pressure off my back. Yes it was pricy. But it's definitely more than an "air mattress".