Honored Contributor

General ideas on open houses

If you have sold or are selling a home, how do you feel about open houses? Good idea, bad idea, or just by internet inquiry appointments only?

Honored Contributor

Re: General ideas on open houses

When we put our house on the market the first thing our Realtor did was have an AGENTS open house. We were there to answer any questions the agents had about the house. It was in the morning and I served pastries and coffee/ tea. This showed off the house to many agents who then were familiar with the property and it was shown a lot within the next few days. Actually, it was shown 15 times in 8 days. It sold on the 9th day. The day of that open house several agents told us they would get this house sold within a few days. I think these agents open house are a very good idea. They also all said they felt we had it priced perfectly. It was a great opportunity for us to hear various agents opinions. Our Realtor took a video at that event and posted it on his website showing how nicely the house flowed to entertain in.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure it was an awesome home.

Super Contributor

I like agent open houses because it creates more activity with local agents in your area. I am not so fond of regular open houses because you usually get people from the neighborhood and others who just see the notice on the Web and may not even want to buy but want to see the interior of your home. In today's world I am cautious maybe too much so but that's just me.
Honored Contributor

I've sold two houses, didn't have open houses with either. Right or wrong, I went with what the realtors proposed. The house across the street from me is on the market and every Sunday they have an open house. I don't think I've seen one car there. I like the idea of a realtor open house, not so sure about an open house for the general public.
Honored Contributor

I would not want a general public open house because I have heard horror stories about things like checkbooks being stolen , among other valuables.

Valued Contributor

I don't think they generate as much genuine interest as people would like. My BFF is a realtor and some times no one has shown up. She will only do a reluctant open house if the seller insists. There also is a lot of potential for people to come in and case your place or steal something during their roaming around your house. I have seen many stories about this in the news. I think the biggest thing is when the right buyer shows up, but I don't think many homes are sold because of open houses. Some new clients are picked by the realtor.

Honored Contributor

On 11/30/2014 RetRN said:

I'm sure it was an awesome home.

If you were answering to me - it really was a very average house - 1100 sq ft, split entry, 3 bedrooms 1 full bath and a rustic bath in the basement. It was , however, well maintained. But, it had vinyl floors in the kitchen and bath and the rest was carpet, formica countertops and white appliances. What it did have was new siding - new heat pump and a new roof and new windows. Our realtor had us put out the receipts for those things on the DR table so when he showed the house the buyers could see the proof that they were all replaced within the past 2 years.

Esteemed Contributor

I would only do appointment only.

Honored Contributor

Thanks ladies, that's what we were told by the Realtor. So we're doing appt.'s only, but I appreciate the feedback. I kind of thought they sold better if you had open houses. But as you have stated here, I would have been wrong. Thanks ladies! That helped.