Respected Contributor
I was surprised to see so many tubs that stand alone in bath (not built in wall, no shelf, etc.). All I can envision is a mess all around- more cleaning. Do people use them or just for looks?
Trusted Contributor

@ECBG That’s great she did so well on her tests, good for her! You’re so cute...you sound so proud of her it made me smile. 

Seriously? Garden tubs big sellering feature? We’re redoing our house if I could just make a decision on what kind of kitchen floor I want and go from there. I was thinking of removing our garden tub for a stand alone tub, if nothing but for resale purposes. I know garden tubs were “in” 25 years ago when we built our house, but I see stand alone tubs everywhere. Personally, I prefer a garden tub because there’s always a place to set something like a book or set a candle or a beverage while you relax. Hmm...good to know. Yes, $150/sf is up there!

F/N/A luvstogarden
Trusted Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

We have a two year old soaking tub in our master bath from our bathroom remodel.....hasn’t been used yet....I just use a dry mop and get the dust out. The cat likes it, however and lounges in it, so it gets some use.....we take showers in the separate shower.....our agent told us we need one bathtub in the house...for reselling. Getting rid of the one upstairs this summer when we finish the updating...will turn it into a large shower. 

I would skip the garden tub.

@lovesrecess  We don’t use ours either. Our cat goes in there, too. Once, I tossed a ping pong ball in one day to see what she would do and she had a blast! It’s funny to watch her play in the tub like that. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 Thank you for your kind reply.

If I had the room (unlike some places we've stayed, I would never want a walk in clothes closet in the bathroom because of the potential for mold),  I'd have a standard tub and shower  because incidences happen.  We always get surprised!

I am very proud of my beautiful amazing girl.  She will be my only girl.  We are a size apart and wear the same shoe size!  She is very patient

With me and allows me to buy all of her clothes, jewelry,  and shoes.  Smiley Happy

If you wrote a letter to the Maker and told him what you wanted in a DIL and he added more.  That's who she is!!!!!Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Mimi 1883 Thank you for your kind reply.

If I had the room (unlike some places we've stayed, I would never want a walk in clothes closet in the bathroom because of the potential for mold),  I'd have a standard tub and shower  because incidences happen.  We always get surprised!

I am very proud of my beautiful amazing girl.  She will be my only girl.  We are a size apart and wear the same shoe size!  She is very patient

With me and allows me to buy all of her clothes, jewelry,  and shoes.  Smiley Happy

If you wrote a letter to the Maker and told him what you wanted in a DIL and he added more.  That's who she is!!!!!Smiley Happy

@ECBG She sounds wonderful. She’s lucky to have you, too!  Has she ever mentioned what kitchen flooring is good to have?? I’m so confused - I just can’t make up my mind and it’s driving my husband, and me, crazy. I’m talking years, not months. Everything is at a standstill until I decide. I take that back. I Do know what I want (kitchen floor included), but I did a stupid thing about 12 - 15 yrs ago and changed my black roof to brown and changed the outside house color from white to deep beige. We got the Hardiplank on the exterior that caused these changes. Looks nice, but I want my other colors back. Unfortunately (or fortunately) we don’t need a new roof, so I’m stuck with beiges. It’s really keeping me back from everything going forward now. 

This is just frivolous compared to what’s really important in life, but it’s still causing me a lot of hesitation (years) in moving on with renovation (cosmetic except for new windows.)  I’ll figure it out some year.  🏡

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

Re: Garden Tub, Huh???

[ Edited ]

They are pretty to look at, but impractical, imo. I would not want one just for the cleaning. I'm not as young as I once was.
Congrats to your DIL, I have 2 nieces, in 2 different states, in RE, they also both passed their tests the first time. I actually was unaware of the difficulty in doing so, due to them both having no problems. Learn something new every day.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 I lean toward a good lineolium which is easy to care for.  Mine looks like wood planks.  I love it.  It's 20 years old and perfect.  The installer brought his brother back to see it he was so impress with how realistic it looked!  It's Pergo.

Get the best mat for under your carpet and your carpet will last much longer too.

Respected Contributor

I have a jetted tub which I only used the jets twice in 14yrs. I am afraid I will get electrocuted LOL really scared of it but I do use the tub. Problem is I am short & have to hop in it to clean plus every now & then I do have to fill up the tub (dishwasher powder, what was told to do it that way) to clean out the jets. Even tho I don't use the jets they do need to be clean. Takes forever to fill it up over the jets to clean them. Big waste of water. Some people love these tubs. 

Respected Contributor

I used my jetted garden tub twice in twelve years. It does take a lot of water to fill it, and that makes me feel guilty. 😕 It’s pretty....has a chandelier over it, but it does get dusty so I put the brush attachment on and vacuum it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm totally a shower person and don't like or want to use bathtubs of any kind.  However, I watch a ton of the real estate shows on HGTV, etc and that's one of the main requests.  I understand families w/ small kids that want a bathtub in their home but a lot of time, it's young adults or a couple who don't have children living at home any longer.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown