Honored Contributor

Our DIL, a real estate agent for about a year, (she passed both required tests the first time-unheard of) said that homes with a "garden tub" sell better.

Yes, they are very pretty.  In my life, however, I prefer "pretty and like frills" to be in my living area where I actually am.  I take my shower and put on makeup in the bathroom and I don't really give it any thought.  

In the greatroom for 4 hours (possibly) a day.  Let the money (and room) go there!  Especially at $150.00 a square foot in building!!!

Trusted Contributor

I'm with you.  Put a birdbath in your yard with couple potted plants around it -- voila!  Garden tub!

Honored Contributor

I have a really nice deep garden tub in my main bath room.  I don't remember the last time anyone used it.  We take showers.  

I just have to clean it once in a while because it gets dusty...a real PIA.

Congratulations  to your DIL for passing her boards the first time.  Only one in five people do in the state of PA. I passed my boards the first time too.

A friend of mine failed five times and is not able to retake the exam again. What is really strange is that very litlle of the education you learn for the exam  is used when you are brokering a RE deal.

Honored Contributor

We have a two year old soaking tub in our master bath from our bathroom remodel.....hasn’t been used yet....I just use a dry mop and get the dust out. The cat likes it, however and lounges in it, so it gets some use.....we take showers in the separate shower.....our agent told us we need one bathtub in the house...for reselling. Getting rid of the one upstairs this summer when we finish the updating...will turn it into a large shower. 

I would skip the garden tub.

Respected Contributor

Somehow I like the fact there is a limit to how many times you can take the RE exam. I have a supervisor that now had to take and pass management classes to get promoted.  She took the classes 8 times before she could pass the class.  That might be a clue that you can't and shouldn't be management.  She has a college degree too, but gosh, some people make a college degree look like fancy toilet paper and not nearly as useful!

I have a garden tub in my master bath.  I did take baths in it once upon a time, but now I use the smaller guest bath so the steam can build up.  The garden tub isn't much longer than my guest bath all in one fiberglass unit.  I'm 5'8".  I want a tub that I can stretch out in fully, so like an old, nearly 7-foot, cast iron tub that I can get up to my ears in hot water in.  I also want a sauna, as heat is one way I manage my fibromyalgia.  I try to take a soak once a week with Epsom salt and essential oils, usually on Sunday evenings to prepare for the work week and sometimes Wednesdays when it has been crazy. 

Respected Contributor
I wouldn't mind a tub out in a lovely garden either, but we have mosquitoes and that so wouldn't work. Maybe in a little garden house or screened in area to feel outside but without the bugs. In the deep south we don't get many lovely days, but then again, a nice cool soak would do too!
Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
I wouldn't mind a tub out in a lovely garden either, but we have mosquitoes and that so wouldn't work. Maybe in a little garden house or screened in area to feel outside but without the bugs. In the deep south we don't get many lovely days, but then again, a nice cool soak would do too!

@Tigriss It's a large tub in the bathroom.  Don't ask me how it got such an exotic name!

Image result for bathrooms with a garden tub

Respected Contributor

We have a never used garden tub also. My problem is that I have trouble getting out of it. As I get older I'm afarid of slipping and falling. I would much rather have the space to put more storage or a bench to sit on.

Super Contributor

I'm also older and can no longer get out of a tub safely, I use a shower. 

I once had a beautiful small hot tub I used, but, after a couple years of using it, I decided to sell it. sold it in four hours via a website.

I also sold homes as a realtor in California, and the younger families like the idea of a hot tub, but, once they found out they had to clean it, and abide by the safety laws of the county/city, they got rid of it.

You really need to be careful of children and teens and their friends usung it and having accidents.

I always advised my sellers to consider getting rid of any garden tub, hot tub and above ground pools before listing the home.

Bird baths are great!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG , interesting....in our area they don't sell well - agents say the women cleaning the bathrooms don't like them, to deep and as you age, to hard to get in and out of.