Honored Contributor

Re: Garage, basement, attic.....

I have had and currently have all three.  Have a three car garage.  Have some storage racks, patio furniture, riding mower, snow blower, work bench, yard tools and garbage cans in there.  There is an attic above the garage.  I've never been up there, so nothing is stored there.  Unfinished cellar.  Not much of anything down there.  A couple racks and a Christmas tree.  Space is not a problem.

Honored Contributor

We have a two car garage and full basement.  It's full of caving rope and camping equipment.

Him, NO way ME!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We have a 2 car garage with attic space above it. No basement.

I often miss the basement we had when we lived in Pittsburgh, but in reality the stuff we put in the basement, for the most part, we got rid of & did not bring to Fl with us.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have no gargage.  I have a full basement (1200 sq. ft.) and a full attic on my ranch style home.  I don't use my attic for storage because it would be a pain to get anything stored up there and I have two feet of loose insulation which really prevents using it for storage more than anything.   I have a sprawling laundromat in my basement along with exercise equipment, work bench(s), HVAC equipment, water heater, water pressure tank, neutralizer, and a half dozen origami shelves for storing things.  In reality I probably effectively use about 400 sq. ft. of the basement for my needs/storage even though it is a mostly finished basement I just don't hang out down there normally (too chilly) unless I am working on a project (infrequent).  It would be nice to have a garage but I have managed to live without one my entire life.  I also have a small shed in the back which holds most of my lawn equipment.

Honored Contributor

We have a half basement and an oversized two car garage; no attic storage and no outbuildings.   The house was built in 1981, and the garage was added in 2003.  

I made it very clear to my husband and daughters that no matter how much stuff they stored in the garage, none of it better find it’s way in my parking spot, as my car was never going to be parked outside.   I spent all that money for a space to park our vehicles out of the weather, not a storage space for their stuff.   I have never wavered on how I feel about that either, and our cars are never, ever, parked outside in the weather.  

My husband wants to spend over $2000 to buy a pre-made storage building to get some of the clutter out of the garage.   Each time he brings this up, my response is a loud and firm NO.   Instead, I suggest that he and the girls make time to sort thru what’s piled up out there, and get rid of it, instead of spending money to buy more storage space.  He could also install shelves or hangers to help get the stuff he’s complaining about off the floor, which would be cheaper than a $2000 building.   I intend to win this, and will pay the fee to dump a truckload of stuff at the landfill before I’ll pay for a storage building!

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

We have a half basement and an oversized two car garage; no attic storage and no outbuildings.   The house was built in 1981, and the garage was added in 2003.  

I made it very clear to my husband and daughters that no matter how much stuff they stored in the garage, none of it better find it’s way in my parking spot, as my car was never going to be parked outside.   I spent all that money for a space to park our vehicles out of the weather, not a storage space for their stuff.   I have never wavered on how I feel about that either, and our cars are never, ever, parked outside in the weather.  

My husband wants to spend over $2000 to buy a pre-made storage building to get some of the clutter out of the garage.   Each time he brings this up, my response is a loud and firm NO.   Instead, I suggest that he and the girls make time to sort thru what’s piled up out there, and get rid of it, instead of spending money to buy more storage space.  He could also install shelves or hangers to help get the stuff he’s complaining about off the floor, which would be cheaper than a $2000 building.   I intend to win this, and will pay the fee to dump a truckload of stuff at the landfill before I’ll pay for a storage building!

@RedTop

You go girl!

I will never understand people who have garages then leave cars outside, especially if you live in the north where it snows. 

My husband has a barn and a shed (two actually), but he (and my son when he was still home) is constantly dragging things into 'my' garage and junking it up. I throw a holy fit just about every day to get him to take back out whatever he has brought through the door. 

I won't relent on this either. 

In my opinion, at attached garage is an extension of my home. I want it clean and organized and functional. I want to be able to access what I need, have clear and defined walkways. If my garage is messy I always feel like my house is messy.

My garage is not as empty as I'd like it, nor as organized, but it is better than it was in the past. A work in progress!

Trusted Contributor

I have all of the above.

We have a 2 car garage that we don't actually put a car in though.  It has lots of shelving and racks that we use for storage (kids' toys, certain food/bulk items, tools, car "stuff", etc.).  My husband dreams of being able to park his truck in there some day!  lol

We have an attic too, but I have never been up there.  It's crawl space, so that doesn't really count to me. 

We have a basement as well.  My husband's office is down there (on one side) and the laundry/storage room is on the other side.

I live on LI and it's pretty much typical to have these things in each home. 

Honored Contributor

I need more storage space!  The attic is pretty much a crawl space.  Oh, how I envy people with a large attic.  This is so perfect for storing all those things that you want to keep and seldom use.  Also keeps things out of sight.  I know someone who has a huge, huge attic.  It is not fancy, but it is clean, warm and dry and she stores all of her seasonal things there.  Plus, she has racks and shelves up there where she puts her out of season clothing, etc.  It's like having a huge walk-in closet!

As for garage, ours is tiny.  One car fits in, plus we have as much stuff as possible in there.  

Basement --- very small.  Neglible.  One room is laundry and one room is a computer/office space.

So, I would love to have more of all 3!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have an attic, 2 garages but no basement in this house. I really miss my basement. But our crawlspace is awesome. It is a "finished" crawlspace. My dh got down there when we moved in and totally painted it, painted the cement floor and put storage racks from one end to the other (its huge)! We roll ourselves around with a creeper. People are utterly amazed when they see it. We have a small (heated) garage attached to our house but our pride and joy is our carriage house (very large heated garage). Three huge stall areas (the larger stall has a car lift) and upstairs are living quarters. We decorated it like a small studio apartment. Its just adorable. When we have visitors, they fight to stay up there. Can't you tell I love my cottage?? Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

My finished basement used to be the kids playroom.  Now its my work studio (I have an Etsy shop).  Our garage stores things for the yard and we use it as a wood workshop (for my Etsy items).  

I used to have a walk up attic in our home when we first got married and lived in NJ....it was mostly for storage.  Now we have an attic in the garage with a pull down stairway and it's also used for storage.

I love having these bonus spaces!