Valued Contributor

Re: Garage, basement, attic.....

We have a basement, an attic big enough to turn into a couple of rooms....but we don't store anything in it, a one car attached garage, and my husband is having a garage, 18'x28',  being built in a week or so. He just tore down a shed to have the garage built. Can't wait to get all his tools out of the attached garage so I can have nice shelves to put my seasonal decor on in storage bins.It's all in the basement right now, but I want it to be more clutter free. I store all my extra canned goods and large items from Sams Club.....paper towels, toilet tissue, etc. down there. We also have a small refridgerator and a chest type freezer down there along with my laundry area and exercize equipment. I hate clutter and I have been giving a lot of things away that we dont have a use for anymore. 😀

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have a 2 car garage. Holds my car and on the other side I have two benches that make one picnic table. My lawnmower, my freezer, a chest of drawers and 3 racks that hold all my holiday stuff in bins. Also my garden wheel barrel and tools. Plus 2 christmas trees. And a two-drawer filing cabinet. 

I have an attic that is completely empty

Valued Contributor

We have a finished basement and 2 car garage. This is the first time we had a large basement. I wish we didn't, all my kids' stuff is down there in the bedroom, I have the warehouse sizes of paper goods down there and a small cabinet for dry goods in the main room. There is also a nice full bathroom down there, it is space we don't use much. If only the kids would take their stuff, but that won't happen soon, one is coming back temporarily with even more stuff. I did have things down there to store, but since purging for the last 5 years, there is just a few seasonal boxes left and those have room left in them.

My husband stuff is all over the garage, we can still get 2 cars in if needed, but at least, mine stays in the garage only. 

I won't allow a shed to be added outside, or even more storage units and plastic boxes, because I know someone here will fill them. And then we will back to the past with too much stuff and buying more ways to store that stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

No attic, no basement. 2 car garage with storage shelves/cabinets.

I got rid of so much when we moved from our NJ home where we did have an attic, basement & 2 car garage.

There really isn't any storage space to speak of in this house.

Honored Contributor

No attic, we converted our basement into a small apartment for our son. Son moved out about a year ago so I have all kinds of storage and a really nice summer kitchen.

Honored Contributor

We have a two car garage, attached. Both of our cars are in it, also with some small miscellaneous stuff. 

We have a basement.  That is my husband's domain. Nothing of mine is in it and I pretend that the basement doesn’t exist. It’s not horribly full at all compared to some, but again, I pretend it’s not there. I don’t even like to go down there. 

We have an attic with pull down stairs. The main portion of the attic, where the stairs are,  is totally empty. Nothing in it at all. We do have access to a small section of the attic through a door in our bedroom closet. We have a few things in there...Christmas tree and ornaments, suitcases and that’s about it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

We have an oversized double car garage with an attic above it.  No basement here in Fl.  We do not use the attic - too hot up there.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I grew up in a house with a basement/garage.  My previous home had a two car garage.  This house has a garage, a storeroom under the house that runs the length,

and a pantry with sink, still not enough room.

Several years ago, I had a wall of built in cabinets and large, deep drawers installed in the rec room, thinking I would have more than enough room, wrong.

DH grew up in a house with a garage and attic.  I always thought I wanted an attic, but from what I have heard, it gets hot up there, then there is the ladder to climb, so am glad I don't have one.  I only have to climb four regular stairs to get into the storeroom.

Honored Contributor

I have an oversized double garage but heaven would be having basement storage.  Few houses here have basements, although I don't know why except for the building cost.  I do have a large, sturdy shed for tools and yard paraphernalia.  I have attic access but don't use it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

All of the above. Pull down steps in garage lead to attic. Holiday stuff and husband's hunting junk (junk to me) up there. Son & grandson living in basement while son starts his own business. When he moves, it will be husband's mancave. I'm sure he'll want to spend $$$ to fix it up. As a poster mentioned -- I may pretend basement doesn't exist. I do enjoy my 1500 sq ft of space upstairs. Wide open and easy to care for.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau