Honored Contributor

Hope someone can help me. This morning I bought a very pretty little salt/pepper set (stamped 925) at an estate sale.

The top of the salt shaker is quite badly corroded. If I keep rubbing it with silver polish, will the corrosion come off?

I've never seen corrosion caused by salt before.

Honored Contributor

Salt always corrodes silver. Don't keep rubbing it. You might try white vinegar.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@violann

I found this for you:

One way to avoid this problem of crusty corrosion marks on and in your salt shaker from the very start is to empty the shaker after a dinner party and thoroughly wash it. There is a simple way to remove the corrosion yourself.

Do this in a well-ventilated area and with nitrile gloves since you will be using ammonia. (Silver dips will not perform as well as ammonia.) If you are removing corrosion from a salt shaker, pour ammonia into a container, place the shaker inside, and cover the container. Let it sit for ten minutes, then remove from the container and inspect. If the black corrosion spots remain, place the shaker back in and let stand for another 10 minutes. If it is not clean in 30 minutes, call a professional.

You may notice a graying of the silver. If this occurs, use Hagerty’s Silversmiths’ Wash, which is more abrasive than Tarni-Shield, Twinkle, Blitz, Weiman, Goddard’s, and Wright’s polishes. Apply a generous amount of Hagerty’s Silversmiths’ Wash on a damp sponge to bring back the surface in and out of the shaker. If you need more abrasive, try a small amount of Bon Ami cleanser on a wet sponge. Use Bon Ami under trickling water – this way the abrasives are dissipated.

After the corrosion has been removed, use a rouge cloth to bring back the silver’s luster, then use Tarni-Shield Silver Polish, Twinkle Silver Polish, Blitz Silver Care Polish, Weiman Silver Polish, Goddard’s Long Shine Silver Polish, or Wright’s Anti-Tarnish Silver Polish on the exterior.

Esteemed Contributor

I had silver plated salt and pepper shakers but never emptied the salt out between using.  Eventually the silver pitted and then wore totally through the metal.  I had to throw them out.

Valued Contributor

Salt is actually one of the greatest corrosive elements.

Placing it in a container full of straight ammonia should help. Cover your mouth and nose when using ammonia. Pour it into some sort of a bowl, place the item into it, cover. Leave it for a few minutes and check. Do it again if it needs more.

I know its something people don't usually think to do but one should always wipe clean sterling after use - especially when it comes into any contact with salt. The corrosion usually appears on the openings in the salt shaker where salt is allowed to sit for long periods of time.

Trusted Contributor

Salt in the air is the reason  vehicles near the coast have such a big problem with  paint even down to the metal body.