Esteemed Contributor

GE refrigerator with built-in Keurig

What will they think of next?

I just got my daily email from Best Buy featuring the GE refrigerator that has a Keurig K-cup brewing system in the front door.  It's on sale for about $2900 (regularly about $3200).  The description about the fridge says we can schedule hot water through the GE Kitchen app.  

I'm not in the market for a refrigerator, but I think this would be a good space saving option.  Rather pricey, though.

Honored Contributor

Re: GE refrigerator with built-in Keurig

Considering the financial issues that Keurig is having I wouldn't buy one. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like one more thing to go wrong.  I prefer my appliances as simple yet efficient as possible!

Honored Contributor

Considering I have gone through Keurigs at the rate of roughly one every three years since they first came out.... (I use only bottled water and descale every three months and I love Keurig!)..... there's no way I'd buy one attached permanently to a large appliance that supposedly has a 15 - 20 year lifespan.... Woman LOL 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Bad idea.  I never have liked the idea of putting two appliances together like that.  I once lived in a condo that had stacking washer & dryer that were attached to each other.  The dryer died & could not be repaired, so had to replace both.  Chances are, the washer would have soon died, too, but it would have been easier on the finances to buy the two units several months apart.

Esteemed Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

Sounds like one more thing to go wrong.  I prefer my appliances as simple yet efficient as possible!

Yeah, I was thinking that it would be my luck to have something go wrong with the Keurig.  

Scheduling hot water through the app seems to be an inconvenience to me too, rather than a convenience.  Seems like it would take me more time to program it than it would to get hot water the old fashioned way.

Honored Contributor

And I thought it was bad enough when they started putting tv's in the frig doors.

Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

This. If my coffee maker breaks, I replace the coffee maker. If my coffee maker breaks, I'm not going to replace the fridge it's in. A fridge is kept for many years - more years than I've ever had a coffee maker last. At some point the coffee maker part will break or you'll want an upgrade, but you don't want to replace the whole fridge for that and wind up with a fridge with a coffee maker no one uses AND a coffee maker on the counter. I'd much rather spend less money on the fridge or buy one with better features and have a coffee maker on the counter than buy a fridge with a coffee maker.

I don't like combo appliances for this reason. I would make an exception for combination appliances if I lived in an RV or a tiny home, but otherwise I want my TV to be my TV, my computer monitor to be my monitor (not the whole computer) and my coffee maker to be my coffee maker.

Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

@colliegirls    Yup.........my cuz just bought a stove with "electronic" controls..........and it came with an 80 page instruction book.    Just give me old-fashioned knobs (I can barely work this computer!).

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

"Amen" to that!🙆