Respected Contributor

GE digital dryer died need help choosing new dryer

Ok here is my dilemma...

My 3 year old GE 7.8 cu large capacity electric digital dryer died. I have been getting it serviced under warranty since February. They came out to the house many many times and can't figure out why it blows the fuse every time in the middle of a cycle and they have replaced everything from the heater motor, control panel, thermostat, heating element you name it. I will miss it dearly as it would dry clothes and towels and sheets quickly all wrinkle free. I haven't needed to iron in 3 years. 

I am done with digital board dryers. Thing is now I have to buy a new dryer from Home Depot and looked on line and the ones without a digital board are a much smaller capacity than I have. I need to fit a king sized comforter in the dryer and that's why I had bought a GE 7.8 cu sized dryer. 

Would love some help and input on choosing a new dryer. Thanks. 

Respected Contributor

Re: GE digital dryer died need help choosing new dryer

I just bought a "manual control" Speed Queen dryer and LOVE it. It has a 7.0 cubic ft drum, so it might not be as big as what you're looking for. The sales rep (I bought it from a small, local store) said I could do king sized bedding in it, but I'll never know since I have a queen sized bed. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Frequent Contributor

Had my 30 year old Maytag dryer serviced the other day with new heating element.  Not getting rid of it till it just gives out!  The repairman is also an appliance dealer and he told me if I ever need a new washer or dryer to get Speed Queen.. less maintenance than others.  

Honored Contributor

I have a builder grade GE  regular capacity dryer - not at all electronic - and I dry comforters from my king size bed in there with no problem. 

Trusted Contributor

I totally relate!

Don’t buy LG!  Their service is practically non-existent – and I live in a major metropolitan area.  Whatever brand you select, check out how many service providers are in your area, call to determine the average response time for each, how long it takes them to get parts, etc.  Make sure that service is a part of your buying decision.  I wish I had looked into that before I bought LG.  They only have 2 providers for washers & dryers in my area and it has taken 4-6 weeks to get repairs done (and that is with an extended warranty with Best Buy).  Totally unacceptable!  I hauled laundry to the local Laundromat for weeks.  Be smarter than I was.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

I don't have any digital appliances - thank God - but my impression is that they're much less reliable than their non-digital predecessors.  Or they're just not built to last.  Spare me the digital bells and whistles, I just want something reliable that will last.

Honored Contributor

My king size comforter  fits in my Whirlpool dryer just fine and it is standard size.

Respected Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

I totally relate!

Don’t buy LG!  Their service is practically non-existent – and I live in a major metropolitan area.  Whatever brand you select, check out how many service providers are in your area, call to determine the average response time for each, how long it takes them to get parts, etc.  Make sure that service is a part of your buying decision.  I wish I had looked into that before I bought LG.  They only have 2 providers for washers & dryers in my area and it has taken 4-6 weeks to get repairs done (and that is with an extended warranty with Best Buy).  Totally unacceptable!  I hauled laundry to the local Laundromat for weeks.  Be smarter than I was.

I second this.  I live in a rural area, so that timeline is normal for us.  If you just have to have that size, you may have to go digital, so buy the warranty from the company and from Home Depot.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Home Depot doesn't sell Speed Queen so that won't help me as I do know they are well made. 

My washing machine is a GE hotpoint basic machine and does not have any digital board on it and has held up fine. 

I agree LG is terrible. These companies just don't make things to last. 

Home Depot Warranty repair has only 3 companies that cover any repairs near me for all washers and dryers. They don't order parts until they diagnosis the issue and then it takes another week and another appointment to come out. They have been here 10 times now. Well I had enough and they replace after the 8th visit of replacing parts for the same issue. 

I may get a smaller capacity dryer if the king sized comforter will fit in perhaps a 7 cu dryer. I will go look on their website and research it. 

Respected Contributor

I took a look at Home Depot online and found that you are right!  They all have some form of digital controls, even though some have a knob, but that is just to select the digital setting.  There is a 9.2 sq.ft. Maytag that looked really good if size is your must.  I looked and the biggest manual seems to be a 7.2.  I don't know what measurements mine is, but it is an Armana from the late 90s and does kings all the time.  I just stop it, pull it out, and fluff it, then put it back and turn it on.  I do see that so many of the dryers, and even the ones labeled commercial with coin boxes, are digital controls.  This leads me to believe that the digital control are at least stable enough for there to be so many, that you may want to just do a different brand and try the digital control.  Read the reviews for each and sort them by doing lowest first and read to see what is a consistent problem from review to review.  If the issue comes up again and again, it may be a flaw of that product.  Then decide if you can live with the flaw or not.  You may find some of the smaller sizes are able to do king and just do that.  There is also the Q & A section on each and search for king.  It will find any mention of king in the already asked questions.  Hopefully someone else has asked and you can see what the answer is, otherwise just ask if they think it can handle a king.