Honored Contributor

Re: Furniture Buying...ever had to change your plans where to put it?

I have not bought new furniture in 35 years, only new mattresses and oh yeah a recliner for my husband, 3 years ago. The recliner is really  too big for his bedroom with all the other furniture in the room.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

No. I measure, draw out floor plans if necessary and drag cushions around to match things if I have doubts.  Why on earth would you pay a lot of money for things and then they don't fit?  Yikes!

I do this, too.

Recently I was trying to decide between a 36" or 42" square pub table.  I'm horrible at visualizing space.

A guy taught me to draw it out on the bare floor/carpet with Scotch Blue Painter's Tape. Works like a charm. I marked out 42" then put the 36" inside of the first square. Tape isn't tacky with residue and pulls right up.

Esteemed Contributor

We downsized 2 years ago. I bought one too many end tables for our new, smaller home. Noticed upon delivery and returned piece. Making decor adjustments with our smaller home. We do wide, horizontal wood blinds only. First home I've had without curtains covering windows. I love it. I've got a bad case of polished casual simplicity! Husband's style is modern farmhouse and a bit too kollector kluttery for my style. He laughed when my DNA results showed almost 20% Scandinavian. I said "Who knew?" He said, "I knew."  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I purchased a beautiful 100% wool area rug from Grandin Road on sale for a steal.  The description did not list the color and I guess my monitor did not show that the rug was mostly navy and gray.  It did not match the furnishings in my LR.

I could have returned it, but it was really nice and quite a value.  It looks beautiful in my  guest bedroom.

Honored Contributor

First apartment special ordered all the furniture. Selected the sofa and it's fabric first with eveything else to go with. When it was delivered they couldn't get the sofa through the door.