Valued Contributor

Furniture Buying...ever had to change your plans where to put it?

Have you ever bought furniture, and it doesn't work in the space where you intended to put it?  Ha Ha!  Had 3 items delivered for my family room...super excited...wanted to put old pieces in my finished basement.  Ha Ha!  The old couch was too big to  go down the stairs, so it is in the garage!  Ha Ha!  The armoire was also too large to go down the basement stairs...so it is in its original spot...(but may move it to living room).  Put new table in basement......but I sure wasn't buying new furniture for the basement! Ha Ha!  Oh, and bought these items from a local furniture store retirement sale...so...no returns...Ha Ha!

Tell me if you have had any furniture buying mishaps, and what you did about it !  Thanks!  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Furniture Buying...ever had to change your plans where to put it?

Bought a sofa at a furniture close out, it was an amazing price. Got it delivered and it didn’t match at all. It was too big we had to shove up against shelves so it would fit in livingroom.  That next weekend we went and bought a new sofa and measured first. We took pics and wrote down colors to compliment our space. We donated that sofa when the new one came. Live and learn and always measure!  🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Honored Contributor

I have had several mishaps like this, even when dealing with a very high priced experienced decorator, who simply forgot to do any measuring!! Dont get me started, horrible situation. 

Honored Contributor

No. I measure, draw out floor plans if necessary and drag cushions around to match things if I have doubts.  Why on earth would you pay a lot of money for things and then they don't fit?  Yikes!

Respected Contributor

Oh yes....Im super picky, I and it’s caused me much stress....I’ve returned many pieces of furniture and paid For restocking etc.....even when I lived almost two hours from town and the store had to come and pick it up. I always made sure the items could be returned if they didn’t work out . 😫

Esteemed Contributor

Mine is not really a buying story.  When we moved to our new home, I had a love seat from my previous house that I loved.  It was an expensive one.  It just did not match my colors so I listed it for sale.  It sold.  I put it in our walkout basement awaiting pickup and, OMG, it was a perfect fit.  I immediately cancelled the sale.  That is my good news story.

isn’t it awful when an unplanned mismatch happens for whatever reason?  Another casualty from our move was a gorgeous vanity and bench that was in our spare bedroom.  It didn’t fit so, to her delight, I gave it to my niece.  LM

Honored Contributor

Yes, I ordered a sofa that was 86 inches and would fit into my living room.  Unfortunately, it did not fit in the building's elevator!!! The delivery people offered to carry it up 6 flights!!!! but I decided to cancel the order.  They took it back with no problems.  This was ordered from Bob's Discount.

Honored Contributor

As close as we came, had us taking something out of a box to get it in the door.  I hate mattresses too, they can wipe things out!

Valued Contributor

Sooner...My new items do fit in my family room... 2 out of 3 of my old pieces were too large to move down the stairwell into my basement!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When furniture comes in either my front door or back, you have to then turn left or right to go to bedrooms or living room.    It's hard to make that turn.    When we first moved in, the couch had to be set up on it's end, on the arm, in order to make the turn.

I need a new couch now.   I dread it.

I do not have open concept, now I get it.

My house is old and the doorways are  narrow.