Respected Contributor

Re: Fridge With Outer See Through Door - Like?

@froggy wrote:

@ Montana wrote:

I saw an LG that I like the looks of. If anyone has this style do you like it? Would you buy again?

Also does anyone have an LG fridge? Do they hold up?

🦋For myself I dislike the fridges with see through or outside doors is that you lose all the condiment shelving that is normally in most fridge doors. We keep lots of condiments and I don't want to be digging around on shelves to find every little jar.

@froggy, 🦋This model has the full set of interior shelves just like a regular fridge. I can’t tell how they did it because the “window” section is flush with the rest of the front. I’m assuming the shelves behind the window section must be shallow,

Honored Contributor

There's actually a reason for the see-through doors. They allow you to see what's inside without having to open the door, wasting energy to re-cool the fridge. Also,from a food-safety perspective not having to open the door keeps the inside temp from rising which could mean prolonging the shelf-life of the food inside. 

I used to work in a medical laboratory where all of the fridges had glass doors and it made it easy to 'see 'n grab' quickly.

Respected Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

@froggy wrote:

@ Montana wrote:

I saw an LG that I like the looks of. If anyone has this style do you like it? Would you buy again?

Also does anyone have an LG fridge? Do they hold up?

🦋For myself I dislike the fridges with see through or outside doors is that you lose all the condiment shelving that is normally in most fridge doors. We keep lots of condiments and I don't want to be digging around on shelves to find every little jar.

@froggy, 🦋This model has the full set of interior shelves just like a regular fridge. I can’t tell how they did it because the “window” section is flush with the rest of the front. I’m assuming the shelves behind the window section must be shallow,

@ MontanaYes I think the shelves are shallower. About 5/6 years ago I boought the Kenmore french door which is 33 cubic feet ( I think it was the last model they made which was that large). My condiment shelves are very deep, good for large jars of mayo, jam, pickles, etc. I love it. I will be bereft if it ever breaks down. The side with the icemaker in the door has narrower condiment shelves good for skinny jars.

Respected Contributor

I bought a Whirlpool side by side fridge 15 years ago,  never had any problems, and  plan to keep. I did think about getting a new one, but you never know what you may get.

Esteemed Contributor

We bought all new top of the line LG for the house we built. My mom loves them. Cant speak to longevity since we have only had them a few months.

Trusted Contributor

I've had an LG counter depth, french door refrigerator since October, and it's been great so far. I chose it because I wanted one with no dispensers on the door, and it had overall good reviews. I don't like the idea of a window, but I can see how it might be useful for some. Mine has an inside ice maker that's connected to a reverse osmosis system.

Honored Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

I've had an LG counter depth, french door refrigerator since October, and it's been great so far. I chose it because I wanted one with no dispensers on the door, and it had overall good reviews. I don't like the idea of a window, but I can see how it might be useful for some. Mine has an inside ice maker that's connected to a reverse osmosis system.

@Caffeina Did the reverse osmosis come with the fridge or you have a system hooked up to the water supply to the fridge/

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Caffeina wrote:

@Caffeina Did the reverse osmosis come with the fridge or you have a system hooked up to the water supply to the fridge/

We have RO on our fridge. Its hooked up to the water supply on the fridge. 

Respected Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Caffeina wrote:

We have RO on our fridge. Its hooked up to the water supply on the fridge. 

Same here - triple osmosis at the sink with a line that runs to the fridge. If you have this you don't need to use the fridge water filter.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

There's actually a reason for the see-through doors. They allow you to see what's inside without having to open the door, wasting energy to re-cool the fridge. Also,from a food-safety perspective not having to open the door keeps the inside temp from rising which could mean prolonging the shelf-life of the food inside. 

I used to work in a medical laboratory where all of the fridges had glass doors and it made it easy to 'see 'n grab' quickly.

I can see that as an advantage when you might have people looking & grabbing all day but not for home use.   Plus like someone else mentioned, you lose the door storage, which is great for the small stuff.

Thumbs down for me