Super Contributor

Re: Fresh New Look For A Craftsman

Love it! Very warm, happy, and welcoming!  ❤

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jubilant 

It's beautiful.

To me, it appears more of a "bungalow" style rather than a craftsman.  

OK, I cave!  Many of you pointed out the sofa arms, fireplace, etc.  Guess I overlooked some details .. but I agree with you.

Honored Contributor

I am not a fan of painted brick but the color of the brick on this fireplace is unattractive to me. Painting it would be an improvement.

I would also replace the sofa.

I think those 2 changes would really make a difference. 

I do like the remainder of the room as is.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

Craftsman is my favorite style, not wild about this revision, what’s up with the ceiling fixture?

I really love a Craftsman, too.  I also like a lot of light coming in but still am missing the wood in this one a little.  

Honored Contributor

Something seems off about the fireplace. I like the overall look of the room.

Honored Contributor

What they did was paint over a well established design feature, and I'm not really a fan of doing so. 

I get that some things fall from fashion, but period architectural features, especially those that involve lots of beautiful woods, really shouldn't be so altered, in my opinion. I would rather people chose homes that fit their style, rather than kind of destroy (although the paint could be removed at some point and the natural wood restored) things like this. 

Valued Contributor

I'm not a huge fan of craftsman style homes.  But I like the look of this space. It's inviting.

Super Contributor

I love a true craftsman home, but to me this just looks boring and dated.  Also, I think a craftsman house should have natural woodwork, not painted.  It's fresh, but hardly craftsman anymore.

Man plans. God laughs.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if I would call it fresh.  That fireplace, along with the weird arms on the sofa, just drag this room down.  As others have mentioned, I would update the fireplace and replace the sofa.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Not sure how new or fresh it is, but I like this room. I like the architecture, built-ins, and most of the furniture & accessories. I don’t like the round table between the chairs.