Esteemed Contributor

Freestanding Electric Fireplace?

I'm considering the freestanding electric full sized fireplaces w/mantle on the other channel. They look so amazing. Several sizes and looks to choose from. I saw the pics CardinalGirl posted when she remodeled her bedroom and the look was fabulous!

The fireplace stores here (we have several) specialize in the real thing or woodburning stoves so not much selection locally. I'm not looking for heatsurge, etc but want the look and ambiance of a fireplace.

Any thoughts if you have one?

Super Contributor

Re: Freestanding Electric Fireplace?

Big. Lots have them. I want to get one for my den.
Super Contributor

I just checked them online. They have really beautiful ones. But they are in store only
Esteemed Contributor

Hi moxie! That is the look I'm going for!

No Big Lots here, I'd have to travel a couple of hours to get to a store.

I'm considering the size as well. I want versatility in case I decide to move it to the bedroom {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Regular Contributor

I am also considering this; would LOVE to see the pics CardinalGirl posted...no longer available ... searched to see it. TIA!!!

Respected Contributor

QVC has electric fireplaces.

I purchased a remote controlled electric fireplace from QVC in which is lovely.

It actually does warm the area, can use with or without flame effect, and with or without heat.

The flames really look extremely realistic, so much so that a guest who came over thought it was a real fireplace.

I always keep the house thermostat set to really warm my home in the winter time, so I do not need to use the electric fireplace's heat cycle, but I have tested it out when the heat is not on, it does warm up my sewing/craft room quite nicely.

They advise it should be plugged into a dedicated electric outlet and one that is not shared with anything else, as it will draw electricity if the heating and flame cycle are used together.

The shipping btw was very good via UPS, and it was fairly easy to put together with a Phillips screwdriver.

I chose to buy from QVC for their 30 day try me policy, and to see if that particular model would be a welcomed addition in my sewing/craft room

I use it primarily for the flame effect and ambiance since I really do not need it for warmth.

Forgot to mention I do change the look of the mantle with the seasons, and it looks beautiful. A large television can also be placed on the mantle top if desired.

At HSN an item has to be returned and is not defective, then I believe the cusomter needs to initiate the return, so do ask about that before ordering, because I do believe if I am not mistaken that the HSN customer will have to pay for the return shipping, or a prepaid label is given to the HSN customer, and then the shipping is deducted from their refund return. For some they may feel this is a very sizable return expense since the item is a large heavy item, so please do keep that in mind.

Just a reminder that Home Depot had their consumer data base hacked a few days ago...so bear that in mind for purchases not paid with cash.

Super Contributor

Check out lowes and Home Depot. The prices are very good.
Super Contributor

Lowes will assemble it for you for $10. But you will have to take it home. Or they will give you 10% off if you assemble it yourself.
Esteemed Contributor

I looked at the selections here on the Q but I like the selection on the other channel.

I don't need it for heat/warmth more for ambiance. Holidays are coming and I want the stockings hung on the fireplace with care look. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I can't recall when CardinalGirl posted her bedroom makeover. I haven't seen her posting in awhile so if she checks in she may repost the pics. She installed a flatscreen over the fireplace and the look was fabulous!

moxie, I do have HD and Lowe's within a reasonable distance so I'll check them out!

Super Contributor

We got one online about 18 months ago. I don't remember the brand name but we love it. Took maybe 20 mins to put together so it wasn't difficult at all. DH is fell asleep watching TV right now so I'll check when he wakes up. It has a remote control so you can control how much light it throws as well as how much heat. Sometimes we just have the 'fire' going w/o heat just for the ambience when we have friends over.

I just tried to insert a pic but it came out HUGE and it wouldn't let me.

Anyone know how to adjust the size on a mac???