Respected Contributor

Framing options to save money

If you have ever had anything custom matted/framed you know the pain I speak of.......$ticker $hock.  One small piece can easily cost many hundreds of dollars.

Now that we moved I have several pieces that need new mattes or frames.  One piece the glass and frame were damaged in the move.

Well I decided I was fed up with retail prices and figured there had to be an online option like everything else.

I have to say I would recommend ordering custom cut mats and or frames online to anyone.  

I ordered mats last week and they arrived (7 mats custom cut ) in 3 days in perfect condition.  I paid for all 7 what 1 mat would have cost in a local craft store.

I also had something matted and framed 2 weeks ago and fast, beautiful and inexpensive.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Framing options to save money

Are you allowed to state what website?   We have many beautiful watercolor paintings from my father in law, who has since passed.  They always bought cheap store bought frames to display them at the time.  We have had a few reframed with better matts and they look 1000% better.  But you are right in that it is very expensive.  I would be afraid to ship off one of his paintings in the mail though.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl   @Puppy Lips   You can say what website.  It's just not okay to post a link to the website.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips 

I have used Matboard and More and Framebridge.

Super Contributor

I purchased a frame and poster at Hobby Lobby and they put it in the frame for me and added hooks and wire to hang it up

Just paid for the hooks and wire

Respected Contributor

@DustRose wrote:

I purchased a frame and poster at Hobby Lobby and they put it in the frame for me and added hooks and wire to hang it up

Just paid for the hooks and wire

Yes this is a nice service but many of use need custom mats or frames due to artwork we own and want to display.

I bought ALL 7 mats for the price they quoted me for 1 mat at Hobby Lobby.    I saved almost $400 by shopping around online.

I was just trying to make others aware there are easy ways to save a lot of money.  And time- the turn around time was faster than HL too.

Valued Contributor

I’m going through this myself, as I moved into a new place a few months ago, and I am purchasing a lot of new art. I’ve had a lot of success in finding nice, inexpensive frames that already have mats in them which work for the size of art that I need to frame. Walmart has been particularly helpful. Their Better Homes and Gardens line of matted frames are really nice.

I’ve also been working with a company called Frame It Easy which allows you to upload an image and have it matter and framed. I found an old photo of a family member online and had it custom double matted and framed for just under $40 including shipping and handling, and they did a beautiful job. 

I’ve also ordered a couple pieces from framedart.com. They have hundreds of thousands of art prints which you can customize by size, style of frame, number and color of mats, and type of glass. My last purchase was a double matted and framed photo of an old sailboat. It’s a total of 26”x33”, and it cost about $180 including tax and quick shipping. I think that’s a steal for professionally framing a piece that size. 

Respected Contributor

@MaryLamb 

Thanks for the additional resources that you tried.  You managed to save a lot of Money.  Good for you.  It's nice to know that you can still get great quality for a fraction of the cost.  

I no longer fear having something custom framed.

Honored Contributor

The last time I wanted something framed at Hobby Lobby, I was able to go pick the frame off the wall, they cut the mats for me, mounted the piece and it was ready the next day.