Respected Contributor

Re: Framed Art Hanging on a Bookcase: Yay or Nay?

NAY!! When did built in bookcases turn into walls? Stick with books and decor pieces of various shapes, sizes and colors. Also, I  would stack some books into small piles as well as standing them side by side - for some added interest, and not just rows of books.

-Texas Hill Country-

As others have mentioned, art is largely subjective; it's based on your own personal taste.

Some folks prefer an eclectic mix of decor in their homes and yes, such styles are generally seen as very "busy" by others. You have a mish-mash of different styles of fabric, artwork, furniture, etc. in one room. The visual stimuli in such rooms are never-ending.

Others prefer more calmer and more homogenous decor that is aligned with a particular style of decor; be it whatever you like.

I have seen some homes where the artwork is hanging directly on the bookcase shelving as seen in some of these photos, but in all case, they made sure that the space immediately surrounding the frame wasn't competing with the painting itself; and that means move any high-contrast knickknacks or books elsewhere, to another shelf.

Let the eyes focus on the painting, else the value of such placement is greatly diminished.

Honored Contributor

Nay.  I like seeing the books.

Respected Contributor

well,   does this mean no dusting the shelves or contents behind the pictures?

i might need this hiding stuff decorating concept.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Esteemed Contributor

I'm going with NAY - I prefer artwork on the walls!

Honored Contributor

Good question.  Just last week I was watching a show on the Royal Castles of England, and by golly, that's how they use to hang paintings, and I saw it myself.  I even mentioned that very thing to my husband.  No nails, no banging into walls with hammers. So there you go!

Honored Contributor

I like the ones you posted.

Honored Contributor

I like different looks so this fits the bill but I like the smaller art only. The big looks BIG and wrong.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't like this look but I have a friend who is a retired interior decorator and she has a lot of built in bookcases in her apartment which used to be a school library. Anyway, she has some smaller paintings on  easels on her bookcase shelves that I think look very nice.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am too much of a traditionalist.  I do have built-in floor to high ceiling bookcases and I would never even consider this look.  

But then again, maybe not such a traditionalist.  My bookcases hold my treasures😉 in a very methodical, balanced and hopefully artistic way. The only books housed on these shelves are those published by family members.