Respected Contributor

Re: Forgot to pay my rent..for 2 months!

Can't even imagine this.  In many places missing rent means eviction.  

Are you planning to give your son POA to manage your affairs, otherwise I am not sure how this is his responsibility.

Here in Philly the bills noone ever misses are cable/cell phone--people cannot live without the services and they will be shut off promptly if the bills go unpaid!

Respected Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

I'm sorry, but the one financial obligation I would never forget is the roof over my head.  I so get and understand COVID influences; other financial pmts/obligations, but rent or a mortgage pmt...nope.  I'm having a hard time understanding this thread.  

AGREED!  The day that I forgot the tons of bills throughout the month and need THEM to take the money from me is the day I hang it up for good!

Esteemed Contributor

@emmygrace, I always get a calendar at the beginning of the new year, and write all the birthdays and anniversaries on it, because I can't remember them all. I would get a calendar if you don't have one, go thru it, and on every month I'd put the rent payment down, on the date it is due. 

I think a lot of us have trouble remembering some things as we get older, and sometimes we need to look for little "tricks" to help us. 

Respected Contributor

@happycat absolutely what you said. I keep a monthly calendar with all kinds of personal reminders, appointments, birthdays, friends' events, payments due, etc. keep it in a prominent location and look at it every day. if this had been a mortgage, the late fees are terrible. Your landlord is too easy and should have reminded you. 

Esteemed Contributor

Although it is scary at first, automatic pay is a wonderful thing.

Think about payments which must be made like health insurance and rent.  It is comforting to know they will be even if you are ill.

Could you ask your son to help set them up?

Honored Contributor

I have anything that can automatically be deducted taken out that way.  I do keep a list and list it in my check register as soon as it's taken out.  Missing two rent payments should be a real warning that something needs to be done.  

Perhaps letting your son take over your bills would be a good idea.  At the very least you should look into having bills automatically deducted.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@emmygrace 

It sounds to me like you are very distracted.

It's not been that long ago since the ordeal with your Lantus insulin.  

Then you are surprised to learn your glucometer has a battery and your test strips have expiration dates.   

Now you've forgotten to pay your rent for 2 months.

Honored Contributor

Shelter is one of the most important obligations. I'd check into some kind of automatic payment. 

Honored Contributor

@emmygrace wrote:

I did this one other time....my manager is very patient...but I told her to lmk if I forget...asap!!!!!! Now I need to get $1616!!!!...the usual payment is $880! I told my son about it and he was clueless...HOW COULD I FORGET??? I told him I'm not a spring chicken anymore...anyway...I sent a deposit to my bank...and will see what happens. I was so upset, I don't remember what I said! I do know this..after all is said and done..it won't happen again!Woman Embarassed

That really does not surprise me @emmygrace . You were running high blood sugars from diabetes and had difficulty accessing your insulin. It is very difficult to function with high blood sugars. When mine run high, I have noticed a big change in remembering things. All the more reason to try for low A1C's.

Esteemed Contributor

as easy as a mistake can be made , but most Landlord lease agreements can begin a process to have you evicted after 30 days ( in my area) . Good that your Landlord wants to keep you as a tenant .  I take it that she did not impose any late fees ?  I sure would arrange a direct payment to her every month and not let this happen again.

I've been a Landlord  of private property and  when  the tenant did not pay me , I still had to pay the bank or incur bad credit .