Honored Contributor

Re: Forced to purchase a new stovešŸ™

[ Edited ]

@SeaGal  @aubnwa01 @Eileen in Virginia @PickyPicky3 @Kachina624 Update.... to my first post....

we went to a local appliance dealer today to look at stove options... Albert Lee Appliances.....what a strange experience....we walked in to this HUGE STORE, Full of appliances.  We were greeted at the door by two receptionists at a desk...they said someone would be with us soon....there were about 10 people behind desks on computers....we walked by them ...no hello or anything.  We we the ONLY CUSTOMERS in the store...

After about  5 minutes a. Fellow walked up to us and we started to talk with him what we were looking for.   He was not unpleasant, but was not what I would I consider friendly  either,..  made me feel like we were just an in inconvenience for him ...that was his attitude. We were a couple of old people....

we left after about 40 minutes with some ideas ...choices...but what a strange shopping experience....a huge store with no customers filled with employees that were not very pleasant?  Is this the new shopping experience when you plan to shell out several thousand of dollars? Hmmmmm.....šŸ˜³ I must be out of touch?

Honored Contributor

You had a good run with it.  I think that when one burner after the other was going it was sending you a message that it's time to start looking for a replacement.

I understand about not liking going out and purchasing a new one....each year they seem to get more complicated with more bells & whistles and more expensive.  However when an appliance is telling me that its on its last legs I start to research to see what it is that I might want to replace it with.

My current range is close to 18 years old and I realize that it's just a matter of time.  

Honored Contributor

@kindred cats wrote:

@Enufstuff  I agree with you about not having black tops on any kind of range even though that's what came with my 48" Thermador.  Beautiful range, however, every little spray or drop or flake shows up!

Just like a gorgeous new fancy black car, it's constant cleaning if you want it to stay like that.Cat Happy

I feel the same way about black cook tops.  Mine is not electric but gas.  It's black and it shows every spill and smear.  The black seems to highlight smears on the surface.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden    You're planning on paying thousands on a plain, no frills electric stove?  You are indeed shopping at the wrong place.  Take thyself to Lowe's or HD.

New Mexicoā˜€ļøLand Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SeaMaiden    You're planning on paying thousands on a plain, no frills electric stove?  You are indeed shopping at the wrong place.  Take thyself to Lowe's or HD.

Out of curiosity I went on Home Depot's page to research coil top electric ranges.  GE has one for $478 or if you want self-cleaning $548.  Sure not in the thousands.  Most of the coil tops were under $1,000.

Honored Contributor

I don't really think you need to dread this.

Respected Contributor

I also recommend a black smooth cooktop. Very easy to clean and looks good with any other color appliances you have.

Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I don't really think you need to dread this.

@faeriemoon 

I don't think so either.  

After doing a brief search for coil stoves, none are in the thousands.  Most of them were in the $600 price range.

Respected Contributor

Wish I could have my old stove back. New one is black with smooth top. Terrible to clean.