Respected Contributor

Re: Forced to purchase a new stovešŸ™

@Enufstuff  I agree with you about not having black tops on any kind of range even though that's what came with my 48" Thermador.  Beautiful range, however, every little spray or drop or flake shows up!

Just like a gorgeous new fancy black car, it's constant cleaning if you want it to stay like that.Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  That was how I felt, with my first glass top. So

much easier to clean than greasy gas burners.

I am short of counter space and I found, in a mail order catalog,

a wooden tray made specifically for the purpose of protecting the glass top and providing counter space.

I was always careful with glass tops and never needed to cover them. Now, with my second husband (aka bull in a china shop),

I purchased that stove top cover, after he dropped a metal utensil and caused a small crack in the new stove glass top.Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff    Thanks, that's a handy suggestion.  I'm alone and am very careful with mine too.

New Mexicoā˜€ļøLand Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Five years ago a friend bought this bare bones Premier stove. No problems and the oven temp is accurate. Made in the USA.

stove.png

Respected Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

If you're going to replace it with another electric range with a ceramic cooktop, get a black cooktop, even if it doesn't match anything else in your kitchen. I wish I'd done this when we replaced our coil electric cooktop. The lighter ones are extremely difficult to keep clean. Good luck!

@Eileen in Virginia 

Thought the glass cooktops only came in black. What is the lighter color?  Thanks for the info.

@rockygems123  Mine is white with gray speckles. I got it at least 12 years ago, so maybe they only come in black now. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

If you're going to replace it with another electric range with a ceramic cooktop, get a black cooktop, even if it doesn't match anything else in your kitchen. I wish I'd done this when we replaced our coil electric cooktop. The lighter ones are extremely difficult to keep clean. Good luck!

@Eileen in Virginia  @jlkz   I I just want coil burners....that way all my old pots and pans will work on them

@SeaMaiden  All of your current pots and pans will work on a regular glass cooktop. However, they may not work on an induction glass cooktop. You have better control with induction cooktops (similar to gas), but they don't work with all pots and pans. 

Respected Contributor

I learned to cook on a gas stove & in the 6 years I lived in a house with no gas into it with an electric coil range in the late 70's, I can't tell you how many bottoms of pots & pans I ruined!  I just could never get the hang of it & the next house had gas & I lived there for 23 years.  When I moved to AZ 16+ years ago, this house was plumbed for a gas range & clothes dryer, but the previous owner had a glass top electric range in the kitchen.  I used it for the 1st year I lived here & if I had to live with an electric range, that glass top was not bad & I couldn=v'e lived with it.    I still replaced it with a gas range after a year & have had a gas range ever since & now also have a gas dryer, which i love.

Your old pots & pans will work fine on an electric glass top (non-induction), the same as with your old coil model.  Glass tops are a lot easier ot keep clean than the coil type.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  You might know who David Asmond is, he has a show on Fox Business News, yesterday on the morning Fox show he was talking about how much %age food stuffs have gone up but said a few things have started to come down in price, appliances being one of them. Hopes that helps turn that frownie face to a bit more smilie!!

---

I wasnt really looking for a new stove/oven altho mine I purchased in '89' and was down to one burner, I changed out the coils in the 3 burners no longer working, to no avail. One day I was on the Next Door app and came across a brand new black one and since my fridge is black, knowing I needed one I called the gal. She is a dog trainer who had just bought her new newly remodeled home that has a mother in law apt. downstairs but she wanted to make it an area for the dogs so she was selling the stove and the fridge for $50.00 each. I scored on a never used Frigidaire 4 coil burner / oven for 50 bucks, its a beauty, I scored!!  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@SeaGal    we plan to go out today to shop for a new stove... we have not done this in over 30 years... shopping for ANY appliances.... like us everything in the house is oldWoman LOL

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I can surely relate hah!