Honored Contributor

Re: For those who do not like air fresheners

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl, thanks for the idea.  I can be sensitive and I have an asthmatic cat.  I was very disappointed when they came out with Febreeze since they advertised that they eliminated the odor, but it just covers it up too with a strong scent.  

Any ideas for freshening old carpet?  I made the mistake yesterday of using fresh pet powder on it before company came over.  The stuff you vacuum out.  That was so heavily perfumed I could feel it in my lungs, so I wasn't surprised Sambo started wheezing, although it didn't seem to slow him down much.  He's enjoying this low humidity.  

I would love to get rid of the carpet, but that'll bring another set of problems with cat hair all over the place.  But, my husband is an "if it's not totally falling apart I'm not replacing it" kind of person.  For example, I have one of those little Bullet blenders from As Seen on TV.  There are little tabs on the jars that fit into slots and those tabs (or one of them) is needed to actually activate the motor.  Well, two of the tabs have broken off, so I found replacement jars.  He won't admit it, but he won't use the new jars because the old jar still has one tab lef.  If I ask him he'll say something like, "oh, it was just there so I used it".  

@Icegoddess 

I also would like an idea for freshening carpet without the heavy scents!  Maybe someone will have a tip and post it???

I can't handle all these air fresheners, heavy sprays, etc. any more due to lung issues, allergies, etc.

Would sprinkling baking soda work, you think, or would that just create a nasty mess on the carpet and create another issue?

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1, I have thought about baking soda but have been afraid to try it. Our older Dyson specifically said not to use any powders becasue it would clog the filter.  You could only use a product called Zorb.  But, I noticed when they were demo'ing the newer Dysons they always show it picking up powders, so we recently upgraded.  I read through all the cautions in the manual just to make sure it didn't have any warnings about that.  

I have never used the Zorb and I see Amazon still carries it.  It gets good reviews although it comes across more as a product to get dirt out of the carpet rather than odors although that might be a side effect of getting the dirt out.  I see they also have a product line called NonScents (carpet deodorizer, spray, and litter deodorizer) that gets good reviews too.  I'm thinking of trying that.  The litter deodorizer I see reviewers mention a slight bleach smell.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@AngelPuppy1, I have thought about baking soda but have been afraid to try it. Our older Dyson specifically said not to use any powders becasue it would clog the filter.  You could only use a product called Zorb.  But, I noticed when they were demo'ing the newer Dysons they always show it picking up powders, so we recently upgraded.  I read through all the cautions in the manual just to make sure it didn't have any warnings about that.  

I have never used the Zorb and I see Amazon still carries it.  It gets good reviews although it comes across more as a product to get dirt out of the carpet rather than odors although that might be a side effect of getting the dirt out.  I see they also have a product line called NonScents (carpet deodorizer, spray, and litter deodorizer) that gets good reviews too.  I'm thinking of trying that.  The litter deodorizer I see reviewers mention a slight bleach smell.  

@Icegoddess 

I'm kind of leary of these things, too.  I just bought a new vacuum - not expensive but don't want to blow it up!  Will look into the things you mentioned!  Thanks! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin