Respected Contributor

For those who do not like air fresheners

I am very sensitive to smells and scents and I can not stand air fresheners and candles.  Something about the smell of fake apples and pumpkins......... ugghh.  But I do not want to smell my fish dinner after the meal is completed.

I have found that bags of activated charcoal placed strategically around the house to be a  PERFECT solution!!!  They actually work to eliminate odors.  I even use them in the garage near the garbage cans to keep the smell of garbage away even in the hot summer months.

Respected Contributor

Re: For those who do not like air fresheners

@Abrowneyegirl  Thanks for the great idea.   

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Contributor

great idea, I'm sensitive to strong scents also.

where did you find them?

Respected Contributor

@LDenise wrote:

great idea, I'm sensitive to strong scents also.

where did you find them?

Wholefoods.

But Amazon has them as well.  I ordered more.

Honored Contributor

I can't tolerate air fresheners and while I used to like scented candles, I can no longer tolerate those either... Fake 'fresh' air and fake scents are way over-rated as far as I'm concerned. Often over-priced too. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I have the same scent issue. I found that little bowls of baking soda work as well. I use those trinket bowls or containers from makeup, etc. and do the job and look pretty.  

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl, thanks for the idea.  I can be sensitive and I have an asthmatic cat.  I was very disappointed when they came out with Febreeze since they advertised that they eliminated the odor, but it just covers it up too with a strong scent.  

Any ideas for freshening old carpet?  I made the mistake yesterday of using fresh pet powder on it before company came over.  The stuff you vacuum out.  That was so heavily perfumed I could feel it in my lungs, so I wasn't surprised Sambo started wheezing, although it didn't seem to slow him down much.  He's enjoying this low humidity.  

I would love to get rid of the carpet, but that'll bring another set of problems with cat hair all over the place.  But, my husband is an "if it's not totally falling apart I'm not replacing it" kind of person.  For example, I have one of those little Bullet blenders from As Seen on TV.  There are little tabs on the jars that fit into slots and those tabs (or one of them) is needed to actually activate the motor.  Well, two of the tabs have broken off, so I found replacement jars.  He won't admit it, but he won't use the new jars because the old jar still has one tab lef.  If I ask him he'll say something like, "oh, it was just there so I used it".  

Respected Contributor

I’m the same way. I used to enjoy wax melts, but even those seem so fake and overpowering to me now. I can hardly stand to go in to bath and body stores or down the air freshener isle in the grocery store.

Thenk you for the tip, I will try that. I can’t stand t have any stale air smell and open the windows every chance I get.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  Where do you buy the activated charcoal?

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl  Where do you buy the activated charcoal?

The first bags I bought were from WholeFoods, but I just ordered more from Amazon.  

I am putting them in all my closets.  Especially the ones that we do not use a lot and are often closed.  Guest rooms, etc.