Esteemed Contributor

Re: For those that have relocated to Florida or

@DREAMONwrote:

I have many relatives in Florida and none of them have a basement. Their garage houses their golf cart and clubs. They seem to have much less stuff. They all relocated from the northeast and sold a ton before they moved. My Aunt said after she spent a few years in Florida she got rid of even more unnecessary clothing that she never wore. They keep a few things for when they travel north.

I personally wonder about annual flowers in a warm climate. Do you just plant them and they bloom all year or do they die off and come back? I have never seen the trees there not green and the flowers not blooming.

@DREAMON

Good question!  Here in the New Orleans area, we plant annuals twice a year.  In the fall, we put down species that enjoy cooler weather - pansies, for example.  But in the spring, it's time to pull them up and plant annuals that can take our scorching summer heat, which will last well into October.  Here on the Gulf Coast we have many trees that stay green all year, like the huge magnolias on my street, but there are also a lot of deciduous trees that lose their leaves in the winter.  I have an oak tree growing in front of my house, and it loses its leaves in December, then gets new leaves in late February.  Normally the oleanders keep their leaves all year, but this winter we had unusually cold weather and a light snow, so my poor oleander lost all of its leaves and is only now starting to sprout new ones. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippiewrote:

I am from Ohio and I lived in Phoenix for 3 years.  It gets cold there in the winter and you would still need a couple of warm blankets, some gloves and a light winter jacket or two.  Some warm clothes such as light sweaters, sweatshirts, etc.  But not the multitudes you need in Ohio.  Winters are shorter there.

I never lived in Florida but I have visited in the winter and it gets chilly so I would think light winter wear and some blankets.

I lived in SC and the winters do get cold there but again the winter is short.  I have a light weight winter coat and gloves, sweatshirts and light boots (not snow boots).  Same for blankets.

I now live in NC and its about the same as SC, cold in winter but nothing like we are used to.  Same type of winter clothes and blankets.

Hope this helps some.

So many 'warmer' places still have a little cold (relative to what we are used to), and you might need a fraction of the cold weather items we seem inundated with up here! Makes sense.

Honored Contributor

We still have our northern home where we live 4 months or so a year.  The rest of the year is spent in SW Florida.  The differences for me are that the southern home has less storage.  But that being said, I don't feel a need for all the knick knack collectibles like I have up north.  What I have down here is different.......clear colored glass verses pottery up north. Different decorating style all together.  It is lighter and brighter.  It is almost always sunny here where up north you can go days with out sunshine.  I don't need as many clothes even though we go out a lot.  I still have boots in both places because once in awhile I need something warmer and I like boots LOL.  I kept one Dennis Basso fur coat in case I fly home in the winter.  I have purged most of my northern clothes.  I mostly wear jeans in both places - no matter the temperature so my wardrobe isn't really different for each place.  Besides I live in a "summer" climate most of the year.

If we were to sell our northern home, I would have a lot of furniture, books, glassware, things I am storing for my daughter, etc to contend with because 1) I don't have room for that stuff down here 2) I don't miss it while I am here, therefore I have learned I don't need it.  I have all the memories in my heart and head, I don't need the stuff and our kids have informed us that they don't want it either.

Do I enjoy our home up north when we go back for the summer?  Of course I do.  We built it almost 35 years ago.  We know it is a luxury to keep two homes, but right now we have business and personal reasons to return north and this would be the only place I would want to stay while there.  Changes in circumstances such as health or who know what could change that.

Not sure if this answers any of your questions, @Mominohio.  As far as purging either of my homes, I could do the southern one in a snap because it doesn't have the years of accumulation nor the space to keep it in. The northern home would take longer because of the accumulation over the years and the bounty of space to keep it in.  I have planned in my head many times how I would do it. After clearing out my parent's home and seeing 60 years of stuff there, I began purging alot of our own things.  Tons of papers that my kids don't need to go through.  I have taken trunk loads to Goodwill.  I have a pretty good start already.   Every summer when I go back, I continue the process.  It is a process made better if you have the time.......

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@lolakimonowrote:

@Mominohio

I grew up in OH as well, and my parents moved to FL for retirement,  so I can comment on the two households.

I think you acquire different things.

In FL, for example, a large part of the garage is dedicated to a golf cart, which is not something that would have been used in OH.

Also, there is no basement in FL, so nowhere to store those seasonal "extras", so everything must go in the closets or if humidity is not a factor, in the "attic" space above the garage.

@lolakimono

I do remember my grandparents didn't have a basement, and that does cut storage for those of us so used to having them. They did have a shed at the top end of their carport, and that kind of functioned as their basement in a way I guess. 

And the golf cart thing....well I didn't escape that entirely here either lol. My son, before he could drive, got a golf cart and we had the biggest time driving it all over the area. We live rural and it was so pleasant to go for a ride in the summer evenings, past all the farms and fields. Unfortunately, he grew up and got into cars, and the golf cart is long gone. But boy it sure has left great memories! 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14wrote:

I have lived both places for a significant period of time (Jersey though not Midwest) and I can tell you depending on where in FL you live (it's a big state!) you'll still need some winter gear like sweaters and light gloves and a comforter with some weight for a month or two depending on your sensitivity. 

If you don't like the heat or humidity, you'll spend a lot of money on staying cool like fans and other devices.  Allergies are no joke either if you have them since the cold season is not long enough for anything to really go dormant for long.

I will also tell you that the absolute joy of being a "Yankee" in the South is when it hits 50 degrees and the locals are walking around in your donated scarves, boots, parkas, sweaters, gloves, etc.  and brewing themselves hot chocolate.    Smiley Very Happy

ETA:  And you have never seen a real bug until you've seen a Southern bug.  They grow them big.  Smiley Surprised  

Hang on to your ice scraper too.  That's worth big time money down here when you get the occasional cold snap.  

@Laura14

I remember when we'd visit my grandparents, usually over Christmas vacation from school, we'd be headed out for the day in shorts and t shirts, and going to the pool in their development, and the kids waiting on the school buses would have coats and hats on. It would be in the low 50's in the early morning, and be in the 70's by afternoon. We thought that was so funny, coats and hats on such a warm December morning! lol

The retired men at the pool (who were there to visit, not swim) would ask us kids if we were from Alaska or something, getting in the water when it was that cold (mid 70's). Felt like a heat wave to us! LOL

I'm sure after a couple of years down there, we would have been cold at 50 degrees too.

Honored Contributor

It's fun isn't it?  I've been back down South for almost 17 years now.  I haven't pulled out my winter coat once and we've hit the 20s several times and it's snowed a couple inches three times.  The looks I've gotten over the past several months in just my Irish sweater alone have been priceless. 

@Mominohiowrote:

@Laura14wrote:

I have lived both places for a significant period of time (Jersey though not Midwest) and I can tell you depending on where in FL you live (it's a big state!) you'll still need some winter gear like sweaters and light gloves and a comforter with some weight for a month or two depending on your sensitivity. 

If you don't like the heat or humidity, you'll spend a lot of money on staying cool like fans and other devices.  Allergies are no joke either if you have them since the cold season is not long enough for anything to really go dormant for long.

I will also tell you that the absolute joy of being a "Yankee" in the South is when it hits 50 degrees and the locals are walking around in your donated scarves, boots, parkas, sweaters, gloves, etc.  and brewing themselves hot chocolate.    Smiley Very Happy

ETA:  And you have never seen a real bug until you've seen a Southern bug.  They grow them big.  Smiley Surprised  

Hang on to your ice scraper too.  That's worth big time money down here when you get the occasional cold snap.  

@Laura14

I remember when we'd visit my grandparents, usually over Christmas vacation from school, we'd be headed out for the day in shorts and t shirts, and going to the pool in their development, and the kids waiting on the school buses would have coats and hats on. It would be in the low 50's in the early morning, and be in the 70's by afternoon. We thought that was so funny, coats and hats on such a warm December morning! lol

The retired men at the pool (who were there to visit, not swim) would ask us kids if we were from Alaska or something, getting in the water when it was that cold (mid 70's). Felt like a heat wave to us! LOL

I'm sure after a couple of years down there, we would have been cold at 50 degrees too.

Honored Contributor

This has been interesting to me. I have been broaching the subject of moving to SC to my husband, or AZ. I think I would prefer SC. I have my doubts I will ever talk him into it, but, it's an interesting conversation at any rate. I would love to just need a jacket or heavy sweater for my winter wear. I live in Missouri.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

What a interesting post...hmmmmm where I begin to answer.

I relocated because spouse wanted "retirement" living and no more cold or snow.  I personally love the 4 seasons & miss not only them but my family immensely.  Of course, people here think I'm crazy to miss all the mess of snow & dreary days😮

I sold almost everything (furniture, large household things), donated clothing (winter inc) and didn't really bring more than the "essentials" based on spouse telling me they wouldn't work in FL. (another thing he was WRONG about😤).

Coming from a 2 story-4 bedroom, 2 car garage, and full basement (3,200 sq ft) to a single story -  no basement (2100 sq ft)- limited storage space: you become very creative!

I don't have "seasonal" clothing.  I have bathing suits, shorts, capris, t-shirt's, etc. all casual.  I live in shorts, t shirts, flip flops or swimsuit (year round). We rarely go anywhere when we need to be "dressed up" living here is totally casual. 

The weather does get cool & sometimes cold so I have 1 container stored in my walk-in bedroom closet: it has "winter" clothes for here: a pair of gloves, sweatshirts, jeans, long sleeve tops.   Although, I now have a storage container of clothes at my sons with winter coat, gloves & boots/shoes for visiting.

My linens are basically the same.  I have a linen closet which has extra sheets,blankets, towels, etc. 

Storage: now that's a challenge!  

My master has 2 walk-in closets (his & hers).

The guest room has a traditional folding door double style closet.  Not much in there (now).

Attic above garage: all holiday decor & stuff not used by spouse (his treasures he can't part with😉).

Garage: 2 car + golf cart area.  Mostly stored in there all his golf clubs, etc. & cabinets for laundrystuff.  My washer & dryer is in garage.  Of course, no need for any outside lawn things because we have lawncare through HOA.

I have 2 pantries: regular in hallway & 1 walk-in which has my pull out cabinets & drawers...also, for kitty box.

What truly amazed me is how much "excess" I acquired (after downsizing & purging 7 years ago) in such a short time!  

I find you need the same basic necessities whatever style home you have or live -- just have to learn what you really need & what you will use for your lifestyle.  For instance, when i moved here I entertained every week & hosted all holidays and always had 20-30 people now it's maybe 6-8 and no fancy tablesettings, etc.

As your lifestyle changes so do the things you need!

Respected Contributor

We moved from the snowbelt along Lake Erie 17 years ago to Las Vegas.  The summers are miserable but the rest of the year is glorious.  We do get fairly cold sometimes during the winter, I think it may have gotten down to low 20's once or twice at night and we have had a couple inches of snow a few times but it's usually gone by afternoon.  I have one of those packable down jackets just in case but most of the time I just throw on a vest if I'm going out during winter. 

There's no grass to mow, most people out here have no grass, the lots are covered with stones and people plant flowers, usually lantana to get color from spring through fall.   The water company paid homeowners to get rid of grass to save on water usage.    Our yearly average precipatation is 4 inches, which I don't think has happened since I moved here.  We've been in a drought the entire time I've been here.  There's an umbrella here someplace which I haven't seen in 17 years and have never needed one.  The ground here is rock hard so if we do get rain, even 1/2 inch of it, flooding is a problem in certain areas.  

I miss my old hometown but I would never go back to live, don't think I could handle the extremely cold temperatures or the gloomy days which could last for days on end.   One thing I do miss is a basement for storage but, you do tend to not accumulate 'stuff' just because there's no where to put it.  

When someone says, it's a dry heat and it's not bad, they're nuts because when it gets to 110+ it's hot,  and I don't care how dry it is.  And sometimes it is 0% humidity.

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 - I agree with everything you said. And yes, those bugs are BIG, LOL. And let's not forget the snakes - yikes.

The garage also stores a lawn mower, blower, power washer and assorted yard tools. Some communities do not allow sheds and it has to be stored somewhere.