Esteemed Contributor

For those of you who remember Boyds Bears and Gary Lowenthal

There was a big event yesterday in Mechanicsburg Pa (near Harrisburg PA) where Gary Lowenthal was signing his new book and other Boyd's collections with purchase. It was called Event in a Tent. It was a 70 mile ride for us one way but well worth it. Country Gifts 'N Such invited him and crowds came from all over the US to meet him. What a great time we had.

He sold out to Enesco and the line is being discontinued I am told. I did manage to buy a figurine called the DANCE. (what else would a dancer ever want).

He is truly a remarkable guy. Very friendly, very funny and just lots of fun to be around.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: For those of you who remember Boyds Bears and Gary Lowenthal

That had to be a great book signing!! He was always so funny!!

Esteemed Contributor

He walked in the side door looked in to a line of gals and guys buying merchandise, said hello in a comical way and went on to HIS TENT to sign. Regular guy, a real treat to meet him. He is from Gettyburg PA and since we live in a neighboring rural area (all 70 miles way) we had something in common to talk about.

Contributor

Thank you for posting this!

Boy, do I ever remember those shows with Mary Beth and Gary Smiley Happy I never missed one as my boxes and boxes of Boyd's critters can confirm, but the entertainment of those shows was priceless, especially when he wore a costume and teased her and got her laughing so hard she couldn't talk. Absolutely priceless!

Regular Contributor

A blast from the past. I do remember Gary and the shows he did...

Valued Contributor

Oh! Gary was soooo naughty with MaryBeth ! Bonnielu ~ thanks for posting this! 'Glad you had such a great time! My Boyds Bears are long gone. They all went to a good home when i downsized.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting, I believe he had some serious health issues in the past. Glad to hear he is doing well.

Respected Contributor

My bears are mostly gone too, but gosh Gary was such a hoot and I miss those shows (:
Honored Contributor

I could almost open a small store with the collection I have, I sure wish I had my money back!{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Contributor

On 10/12/2014 Hooty said:

I could almost open a small store with the collection I have, I sure wish I had my money back!{#emotions_dlg.sad}

lol - we could have one together!

Gary was the best salesman ever and those little faces sold me every time Smiley Happy

Thank Goodness he wasn't the one who invented Beanie Babies because I never saw anyone in person selling those and I stood in line just like all the other loons to buy them! Have donated most of them, but can't quite part with the Boyd's yet.