Respected Contributor

In my 1st career, I was a Buyer & Product Developer of Home Decorative Accessories & Tabletop. I loved my work & my own dinnerware (12+ sets!), drinkware sets (a lot), & flatware sets (6 sets) really grew. When I moved to my new house last year, I donated 80% bc my millennial child wasn't interested. But, I also added just a little.

I'm always tempted by the plethora of tabletop designs, & this morning I was window shopping flatware.

These designs are from the Neiman Marcus website. The last one is from Anthropologie.

#1 Ricci Silversmith

image.png

#2 Reed & Barton

image.png

#3 Wallace Silversmiths

image.png

#4 Neiman Marcus

image.png

#5 Godinger (I have this as my everyday set)

image.png

#6 Godinger (silver-plated)

image.png

#7 Neiman Marcus

image.png

#8 Taos Twist

image.png

#9 Mepra

image.png

#10 Neiman Marcus (I have a similar beaded set for special occasions)

image.png

#11 Towle Silversmiths

image.png

#12 Wallace Silversmiths

image.png

#13 Kirk Stieff

image.png

#14 International

image.png

#15 Gorham

image.png

#16 Vietri

image.png

#17 Godinger [so spring/summer feeling : )  ]

image.png

#18 Versace

image.png

#19 Wallace Silversmiths

image.png

#20 ValPeltro

image.png

#21 Neiman Marcus

image.png

#22 From Anthropologie (Spoons only)

image.png

Respected Contributor

Re: For the Love of Flatware

A lot of these designs are like nothing I've seen before, but I don't shop much for flatware.  I'd say the bee design is my favorite.

I bought a nice set at Costco a few years back and was highly disappointed to realize upon unpacking and replacing my old set that the Costco set had only forks, teaspoons and knives, but no tablespoons!  When I started using them, I realized that they were much more weighted on one end, causing them to more often than not slip off the plate when carrying my plate from dining room to kitchen.  I'm ready for another set but will not buy if I can't hold them individually, i.e. out of the package, first.  Live and learn!

Honored Contributor

Some very nice patterns to choose from, I think the Reed & Barton is most my style. If I were young I would definitely be tempted to order. Anything home and tabletop when it comes to decor I love looking at but my buying days are in the rearview window.

Respected Contributor

Wow! That was fun!

Honored Contributor

These sets are beautiful and some of them remind me of sterling pattterns, International in particular.  I have a set of Lenox 18/10 from Costco, service for 12, with all place pieces, two forks, two spoons and the knife.  It is a rope edge, heavy and well balanced.  It was only 39.00, marked way down during one of the recessions.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I got a set from the Q in 2001, from Cooks Essentials, 18/10, still looking lovely today.  My daughter has a Lenox set, that is slightly heavier and beautiful. I like sleek and more linear patterns, dont care for very ornate ones. 

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily  Not a fan of gold flatware in any way. But there were many lovely sets.

My all time favorite and one I still drool over is La Scala by Gorham. It was never in our budget but that is my dream pattern. I still go online to look at it!

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily I too am a flatware lover!  It is truly a work of art sometimes!  I have collected for about 40 years.  I have a set of the International Royal Danish that I love.  I eat cereal every day from the soup/gumbo spoons of that and Fairfax.You cannot get great spoons in stainless like those old ones in sterling.  

I have pieces from lots patterns--Repousse, Gorham Perspective, and Damask Rose to name a few I've focused on looking for bargains. Probably the most in Chantilly.  But they all play together!

I also have a pink set and a cream set of the Neiman Marcus ones with the colored handles.  I got them years ago on after Christmas huge sales!  

Most were bought on vacation--so I wouldn't be buying t-shirts and "stuff." And I forgot my biggest vacation purchase--Kirk Williamsburg Royal Shell that we have used and used for 35 years.  It is our "good" stainless for company and I still love it maybe most of all!!!

Good to "talk" to those who don't just assume you are crazy. They only see the tip of the ice cube--when using one of my "orphan" silver iced tea spoons!!! Woman WinkWoman EmbarassedWoman Surprised

Esteemed Contributor

@Desert Lily 

I'm swooning at your former job.  Sounds fun and exciting.  How lucky you are!

I adore beautiful dinnerware, crystal and flatware.  Nothing like a beautifully set table.  Sadly, I no longer entertain as I used to and...have little or no opportunity to splurge on table settings.  I am living on the fumes of my memories Cat LOL

A very old friend of mine started me on that journey when I was just 18.  I had dinner at her house and she set the table with beautiful Lenox dishes and her Gorham Versaillies Sterling.  It had belonged to her mother.

I never forgot that pattern.  It is very ornate and not keeping with today's simpler lifestyle.  Here it is.  Each piece is a work of art.

Many years ago, I invested in a set of Reed & Barton Francis First.  Again, much too formal for most settings but I still love it.  I am embarrassed to say it hasn't been out of the storage box in years.

I adore looking at old or new patterns of dishes and flatware.  The ones you showed were so lovely.  I could live with any of them!

Thanks for reminding me of such beautiful things.

Esteemed Contributor

It is so hard to find sets for 12 + serving pieces anymore.  Several years ago, when I was still able to have family dinners, I bought these sets from QVC by Reed/Barton and Lenox.  Now, hard to find, that don't cost an arm and a leg!