Esteemed Contributor

For Those Who Grill Outdoors

In May, Le Creuset is the TSV and a Cast Iron Griddle or a Grill is offered. 

I haven't used a Grill pan on a Bar B Que.  For those that have, how do you like them? 

I've also never used a Griddle on an outdoor flame.  Anyone care to share. 

K45833 and K45832.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Re: For Those Who Grill Outdoors

[ Edited ]

Why would anyone use a grill pan on a bbq? Just use the grates. I do use my grill pan ( a bare cast iron one) inside when I'm feeling lazy or I'm making panini. 

Having said that, I have used my Le Creuset over open flame both inside and outside. It works fine. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

BTW, if you want to griddle outside, my suggestion would be to get the Lodge pizza pan. It's 14 inches not counting the handles. It also works great for roasting vegetables in the oven. And yes, it works great for pizza too. I've also cooked pita and naan on mine. 

Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Why would anyone use a grill pan on a bbq? Just use the grates. I do use my grill pan ( a bare cast iron one) inside when I'm feeling lazy or I'm making panini. 

Having said that, I have used my Le Creuset over open flame both inside and outside. It works fine. 

Here in CA, just about anything goes.  I can understand it being used indoors for the times you are not up to grilling outdoors. 

For me those, open mesh bbq skillets or sheets get so very soiled from any oils or sauces used when food is cooked out on the bbq's.  And the grates get funky looking as well.  I am looking at this product as the answer to the clean up. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I've seen a product advertised on late-night TV that looks like a cookie sheet liner.  You put it on your grill and you can cook anything from meat to veggies, k-bobs, fish,  etc without it falling through or flaring up but with grill marks. Then just wipe the sheets clean for the next use.   They'd be great for grills in parks, that aren't clean. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've seen a product advertised on late-night TV that looks like a cookie sheet liner.  You put it on your grill and you can cook anything from meat to veggies, k-bobs, fish,  etc without it falling through or flaring up but with grill marks. Then just wipe the sheets clean for the next use.   They'd be great for grills in parks, that aren't clean. 

We have these and use them all the time - fabulous.Just wipe off and they are ready to go.

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

Here in CA, just about anything goes.  I can understand it being used indoors for the times you are not up to grilling outdoors. 

For me those, open mesh bbq skillets or sheets get so very soiled from any oils or sauces used when food is cooked out on the bbq's.  And the grates get funky looking as well.  I am looking at this product as the answer to the clean up. 

Those mesh and open sheets are specifcially designed for use with smaller items that might fall through the grill or more delicate things for example fish and mushrooms. I'd never use them for steaks or chicken. Cleaning the grates is a heck of a lot easier than cleaning all the crevices of those skillets and sheets. Do what you want but you're going to lose a lot of flavor using a grill pan outside compared to actually grilling the food on grates. 

Honored Contributor

My husband does all the outside grilling and he has pans that he uses only for that. We use charcoal so pans can get black on the bottom. He  rarely uses a pan. Most of the time be grills on the grates. 

Respected Contributor

My husband is a grilling fool!! 

He has a heavy deep square pan with small holes all thru out for grilling veggies or shrimp. He has a drunken chicken stand and a multi rib rack - both also heavy duty. These things should last and last and not have to be constantly replaced or babied in any way. Yes,  they get blackened from the heat - wash/scrub them and they pretty much look like new. And, outdoor cooking is not the place for non stick anything. 

I think he would probably be like "huh? - you want me to use THAT thing on the grill?". Yep, I can hear him now 😃!! 

Shop around. There is a bunch of junk out there for the BBQ pits, the grills - either charcoal or gas. Best to buy a good product that will hold up to heat. They're a little more money, but in the long run they are well worth it.

Also, the disposable mesh sheets you can get work wonders on those grills out somewhere that who knows when or if it has ever been cleaned!

Now - get out there and enjoy some good grilled food this summer ladies! 😎

-Texas Hill Country-