Super Contributor

Thought this was kind of interesting.....You can find it on the Heritage Ohio website.

"Take an exclusive tour of one of Ohio's most unique buildings
About this Event

On Sunday, October 20th, you will have a rare opportunity to take a tour of the former headquarters of The Longaberger Company, known to many as the "Big Basket."

• Tour the 1st & 2nd floors of the Basket
  • Hear stories and company lore from Longaberger Family members and former Longaberger employees
  • Enjoy a picnic outside the Basket with food options available for purchase provided by area food trucks
  • Live music provided by Barley Bros.
  • Enjoy autumnal bliss in Licking County

Day of ticket price $20"

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Respected Contributor

Re: For Longaberger fans....

It is a beautiful building inside.  At least it was when I toured it back in the 90’s, in the heyday of Longaberger!  So sad that this company is gone.  Hope they get a good turnout.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

They were really popular for gifts in the '80's and '90's. I finally gave my Longaberger baskets to Goodwill when my son moved out. If he didn't take stuff, I got rid of it! That was many, many years ago. Imagine that's where many of the baskets still reside. Wonder if Goodwill dusts them? 

It would have been fun to tour Longaberger when in operation. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Regular Contributor

They used to offer a basket making event where customers could customize a basket.  Took several of those and the helper wouldn't let the basket leave until it was perfect.  Everything was pricey but they were fun vacations 

Esteemed Contributor

I still have two of their baskets.  They must be thirty years old now.  Can see them from here, all full of things I need to keep track of.

Honored Contributor

It's an interesting building, inside and out.  Here's the current real estate listing - it has a lot of photos.

http://www.naiorc.com/Properties?enableCookie=true&propertyId=1500-E-Main-St

And this article from April 2019 tells what's happened to the building - the Big Basket - since Longaberger went out of business.

https://archpaper.com/2019/04/ohios-big-basket-building-for-sale/https://archpaper.com/2019/04/ohios...

Respected Contributor

I have a couple of Longaberger baskets, but I switched to Peterboro when QVC began selling them.

Super Contributor

@ValuSkr, wow, thank you for those links!  It's absolutely beautiful inside.  Wish my office building looked like this.

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Honored Contributor

The sisters are supposed to be making a comeback and bringing the company back. 

It is a bit of mystery right now, and supposedly some legal things to be worked out, but there is a facebook page by Rachael Longaberger that is heavily hinting the company will be back. 

Some former employees already started a new basket company, I think it is called Dresden and Company. They are already up and running and selling, from what I've seen online, so I wonder how two companies in the same area (I'm assuming Longaberger will come back in that area) will fare. 

Being from Ohio, I have lots of Longaberger baskets. Most of mine were purchased second hand for cheap. I only ever bought a couple full price way back in the early days. 

Would be happy to see them up and running again, but I just have my doubts that they could ever be as strong as in the past. I just don't see baskets ever making the comeback in home decor or even use, like they once were, for a significant enought portion of the population to make it a real success. 

Honored Contributor

I have a many of their baskets, my girl friend has A LOT, and I mean a lot....I enjoy the ones I have and use them when possible.  I did sell some that I did not like. 

I doubt like @Mominohio  says,  they can make a return to the retail market and be profitable.