Trusted Contributor

For Fun .. your preference of home interiors

So, for fun .. as all of us are of different opinions & styles, what are your ideal home interior styles?

For me, I love coastal, cottagy styles.  Lots of blue/white with pops of bright colors.  Prefer open, airy design.  Outdoor patio/deck - with hopefully, good views of the water.

(Side note:  I'm not a fan of new builds on the coast as we've seen them taking over many of the smaller, older homes that were original to the areas.  Their views have been blocked by these huge homes that knocked down the more simple homes & built new.  The landscape of where we vacation near the Nubble Lighthouse in York, ME has changed so much since we began going there.  In our opinion, we miss the original landscape - where all the homes had views, lower taxes.  Just sayin ..) 

What are your thoughts?

Everyone:  hope you're enjoying a beautiful, relaxing day today.

Louisiana residents .. you're in my thoughts & prayers

Esteemed Contributor

Re: For Fun .. your preference of home interiors

I like modest dwellings with intimate interiors.  In my ideal world, man is humble compared to the majesty of outdoors.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@ScenicMaine 

I like a home to reflect the homeowner, when I step inside I can learn about that person- where they have lived, traveled, what they have collected, etc.

I don't want a home that looks like it came out of a catalogue.  I want to be able to tell stories about where the pieces came from.  I gravitate to the eclectic homes.  

(Except the story about my Pier 1 leather sofa that my %&#@ cats shredded, and is currently slipcovered with an ugly brown slipcover).  Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with @lolakimono  and I think my house is like that, but if I lived alone it would be different. I've made a lot of compromises for the people with whom I live.. currently DH and my grown son. If it were just me, it would be country/cottage/shabby chic - all comfort, and light neutral colors - not a lot of purposeful decor, but lots of room for the things I love like books, yarn, mementoes of my children and family, and of course my cats.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I like a home that reflects/compliments it's surroundings. I don't like a coastal decorated home in the country etc. 

We live on the water and have a beachy vibe to our home but it isn't totally coastal at all....mostly neutral decor with colors of sand, blues, grays, and aqua, off white,  and misty pale greens.

Super Contributor

My home is “cozy traditional”.  I like warm colors and lots of crocheted/knitted throws to cover up with when the weather is cool or throw over my legs when the a/c is running.  I have lots of oak tables, bookcases. Etc.  There are touches of cotton bolls around to pay homage to my parents and grandparents who farmed on a sharecropper basis many years ago.  Tobacco baskets and dough bowls.  

I have a long front porch with rocking chairs that speak of days gone by.

i know my style probably doesn’t appeal to many, but to me it’s home.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My favorite interior decor is Chippendale with a bit of Queen Anne.  Large mahogany and dark cherry pieces...love Newport, Rhode Island and Philadelphia mid-1700's cabinetmakers, particularly the block front and ball and claw foot.

Large comfy sink-in sofas and chairs not found in the 1700's. One is a take on the camelback, but nothing like those of yesteryear. 

Oriental rugs, oriental and brass lamps.  Large colorful Chinese and Japanese Imari vases.

Very light taupe painted walls, deep rich colors throughout the house.

While my decor may sound formal, it isn't stuffy at all.  I'm told, I don't ask, it's very welcoming, cozy and comfortable.  

My family room is very casual, an eclectic mix of Chippendale, primitive, equestrian, oriental, and wildlife.   May sound awful, but surprisingly it all came together with the help of a few interior decorating courses I took some years ago. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love incorporating ethnic elements that have been collected from journeys.  I also crave books in a home.  The books reflect the interests of the owner.  I prefer curves rather than angles in design elements and bringing the outside indoors when possible. Wood flooring is grounding and comforting. 

Honored Contributor

You have to understand that living in a flood zone, you need to be elevated.  We just tore down a *cute* cottage and went up to base flood plus 2 (feet).

Some towns are making it mandatory to be elevated or the option of flood insurance isn't even offered.  

That said, as far as decorating my homes, with the exception of some sea glass in a crystal dish, a piece of driftwood and a painting of a wave done by a local artist, I don't decorate *beach theme*.  (Although lots of framed photos on display of family and friends on the beach.)

This home is furnished mostly by Bramble Co. furniture in either the Nantucket or Provence design.  I don't like dark wood in here (although I do like it) and even the hardwoods are an unstained ash.  I like light pastels, no jewel tones, nothing is black--except the TVs when turned off, but even they are framed in silver.

Am relaxing this weekend--preparing a crowd for a 4 day weekend coming up.  Took our 8 mile ride on the boardwalk and back---early early early this a.m.  Just chilling out at the diningroom table.  Just tomatoes and cucumbers for lunch!

Honored Contributor

I like lots of natural light.  Traditional, with cottage, Belgian farmhouse, even primitive influences.  I even like a few industrial and midcentury modern accents, if integrated well.

Soft area rugs over old wood floors.  No elaborate window treatments-- prefer blinds or muslin curtains.  Crown moldings and high baseboards.  Antiques and vintage.  But must be airy.  My preference, counter to what is prevalent today, is color on the walls, but more neutral in accessories.  Example--  I like chalky, off-pastel wall colors in soft blues and greens (many of the Benj. Moore Historical paints are like this,) but my accessories tend to be things like creamy or white ceramics, wood, clear glass, and metallics like pewter, iron, brass, which are neutral.

Favorite characteristics in interiors---   "vintage-ness", comfort, airiness, softness, handmade quality, coziness.